Jul 29, 2010, 6:15 PM EDT
Adding the right-handed bat they’ve wanted since the winter, the Rangers have acquired Jorge Cantu from the Marlins for right-handers Evan Reed and Omar Poveda.
After a fast start, Cantu had fallen all of the way to .259/.308/.408 for the Marlins. He had driven in 54 runs, but 23 of those came way back in April. By month, he had posted OPSs of 920, 701, 680 and 536. He also doesn’t exactly fit the bill as a lefty masher. In his career, he has a 790 OPS versus southpaws, as opposed to a 765 OPS against righties. He was at 720 against left-handers this year.
It makes one wonder if the Rangers wouldn’t have been better off with Mike Lowell instead.
Fortunately, they didn’t give up a whole lot in return. Reed is a 24-year-old reliever in Double-A. He had a 1.62 ERA for Frisco, but he doesn’t project as more than a sixth- and seventh-inning guy.
Poveda, 22, underwent Tommy John surgery back in February and won’t return until next year. His stock had fallen long before the procedure, and while there’s hope that the surgery will restore his lost promise, he’s just a lottery ticket right now.
There’s the chance Cantu could find his stroke for the Rangers and overtake Chris Davis as the regular first baseman, but there were better options available if Texas wanted someone to start over Davis. As is, he’ll mostly play versus lefties for now.
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 186
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 30
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (189)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)