Jul 29, 2010, 6:46 PM EST
It seems like a good time to point out that two months ago former Mets general manager, former ESPN analyst, and current AOL Fanhouse contributor Steve Phillips said during a radio interview that he’d trade Stephen Strasburg for Roy Oswalt if he were running the Astros.
And then he shot a video “defending himself and explaining why dealing an unproven commodity for an ace might not be a bad idea.”
Turns out the Astros got juuuuuuuuuuust slightly less than the world’s best pitching prospect in exchange for Oswalt, settling instead for a 27-year-old mid-rotation starter, a toolsy 19-year-old shortstop, and (after they flip Anthony Gose to Toronto, apparently) Triple-A first baseman Brett Wallace and his rapidly declining stock.
I’d normally make some sort of joke here about how this is the reason why Phillips is no longer a GM, but in truth his thinking Strasburg-for-Oswalt was a good idea probably doesn’t even make the list.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (267)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)