Jul 29, 2010, 6:46 PM EST
It seems like a good time to point out that two months ago former Mets general manager, former ESPN analyst, and current AOL Fanhouse contributor Steve Phillips said during a radio interview that he’d trade Stephen Strasburg for Roy Oswalt if he were running the Astros.
And then he shot a video “defending himself and explaining why dealing an unproven commodity for an ace might not be a bad idea.”
Turns out the Astros got juuuuuuuuuuust slightly less than the world’s best pitching prospect in exchange for Oswalt, settling instead for a 27-year-old mid-rotation starter, a toolsy 19-year-old shortstop, and (after they flip Anthony Gose to Toronto, apparently) Triple-A first baseman Brett Wallace and his rapidly declining stock.
I’d normally make some sort of joke here about how this is the reason why Phillips is no longer a GM, but in truth his thinking Strasburg-for-Oswalt was a good idea probably doesn’t even make the list.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)