Jul 29, 2010, 2:59 PM EDT
UPDATE: Forget Vance Worley: now it’s being widely reported the second prospect in the day is one Jonathan VIllar. Villar is a 19 year-old shortstop prospect currently hitting .272/.332/.358 in the Sally League. Unless there’s a misprint on his Baseball-Reference.com page, he has [gulp] 42 errors this season. So he’s got that going for him. Which is nice. All of the analysis below holds with Villar, especially if his glove is as bad as his numbers suggest.
2:19 P.M.: It now appears as though the two prospects in the Roy Oswalt deal are Anthony Gose and Vance Worley. Jonathan Singleton is in the starting lineup for the Phillies’ A-ball team. If he were in the trade, he wouldn’t be playing.
As I mentioned this morning, Worley is a 22 year-old starter who is 9-4 with a 3.03 ERA in 20 starts,
all but one of which have come at AA. His strikeout numbers don’t suggest he’s an
overpowering pitcher — he has a 6.6 K/9 in his minor league career —
but he’s decent enough. My guess is that he projects as a
Gose turns 20 on August 10th. He’s currently hitting .263/.325/.385 in
high-A ball. Which is basically what he did over the last two years in Rookie and low-A. He’s apparently fast — he stole over 70 bases last season — but this year he’s been caught 27 times against 36 steals. Not what you want to see.
Worley is potentially useful. Gose is no blue chipper. While we’ll await official word to pass final judgment, this looks like a big, big win for the Phillies and a mid-level starter (Happ) away from being a straight salary dump for Houston.
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 18
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 14
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 79
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)