Jul 29, 2010, 2:59 PM EST
UPDATE: Forget Vance Worley: now it’s being widely reported the second prospect in the day is one Jonathan VIllar. Villar is a 19 year-old shortstop prospect currently hitting .272/.332/.358 in the Sally League. Unless there’s a misprint on his Baseball-Reference.com page, he has [gulp] 42 errors this season. So he’s got that going for him. Which is nice. All of the analysis below holds with Villar, especially if his glove is as bad as his numbers suggest.
2:19 P.M.: It now appears as though the two prospects in the Roy Oswalt deal are Anthony Gose and Vance Worley. Jonathan Singleton is in the starting lineup for the Phillies’ A-ball team. If he were in the trade, he wouldn’t be playing.
As I mentioned this morning, Worley is a 22 year-old starter who is 9-4 with a 3.03 ERA in 20 starts,
all but one of which have come at AA. His strikeout numbers don’t suggest he’s an
overpowering pitcher — he has a 6.6 K/9 in his minor league career –
but he’s decent enough. My guess is that he projects as a
Gose turns 20 on August 10th. He’s currently hitting .263/.325/.385 in
high-A ball. Which is basically what he did over the last two years in Rookie and low-A. He’s apparently fast — he stole over 70 bases last season — but this year he’s been caught 27 times against 36 steals. Not what you want to see.
Worley is potentially useful. Gose is no blue chipper. While we’ll await official word to pass final judgment, this looks like a big, big win for the Phillies and a mid-level starter (Happ) away from being a straight salary dump for Houston.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 0
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 27
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 88
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)