Jul 29, 2010, 2:59 PM EDT
UPDATE: Forget Vance Worley: now it’s being widely reported the second prospect in the day is one Jonathan VIllar. Villar is a 19 year-old shortstop prospect currently hitting .272/.332/.358 in the Sally League. Unless there’s a misprint on his Baseball-Reference.com page, he has [gulp] 42 errors this season. So he’s got that going for him. Which is nice. All of the analysis below holds with Villar, especially if his glove is as bad as his numbers suggest.
2:19 P.M.: It now appears as though the two prospects in the Roy Oswalt deal are Anthony Gose and Vance Worley. Jonathan Singleton is in the starting lineup for the Phillies’ A-ball team. If he were in the trade, he wouldn’t be playing.
As I mentioned this morning, Worley is a 22 year-old starter who is 9-4 with a 3.03 ERA in 20 starts,
all but one of which have come at AA. His strikeout numbers don’t suggest he’s an
overpowering pitcher — he has a 6.6 K/9 in his minor league career –
but he’s decent enough. My guess is that he projects as a
Gose turns 20 on August 10th. He’s currently hitting .263/.325/.385 in
high-A ball. Which is basically what he did over the last two years in Rookie and low-A. He’s apparently fast — he stole over 70 bases last season — but this year he’s been caught 27 times against 36 steals. Not what you want to see.
Worley is potentially useful. Gose is no blue chipper. While we’ll await official word to pass final judgment, this looks like a big, big win for the Phillies and a mid-level starter (Happ) away from being a straight salary dump for Houston.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 70
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 215
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (215)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)