Jul 29, 2010, 2:59 PM EDT
UPDATE: Forget Vance Worley: now it’s being widely reported the second prospect in the day is one Jonathan VIllar. Villar is a 19 year-old shortstop prospect currently hitting .272/.332/.358 in the Sally League. Unless there’s a misprint on his Baseball-Reference.com page, he has [gulp] 42 errors this season. So he’s got that going for him. Which is nice. All of the analysis below holds with Villar, especially if his glove is as bad as his numbers suggest.
2:19 P.M.: It now appears as though the two prospects in the Roy Oswalt deal are Anthony Gose and Vance Worley. Jonathan Singleton is in the starting lineup for the Phillies’ A-ball team. If he were in the trade, he wouldn’t be playing.
As I mentioned this morning, Worley is a 22 year-old starter who is 9-4 with a 3.03 ERA in 20 starts,
all but one of which have come at AA. His strikeout numbers don’t suggest he’s an
overpowering pitcher — he has a 6.6 K/9 in his minor league career —
but he’s decent enough. My guess is that he projects as a
Gose turns 20 on August 10th. He’s currently hitting .263/.325/.385 in
high-A ball. Which is basically what he did over the last two years in Rookie and low-A. He’s apparently fast — he stole over 70 bases last season — but this year he’s been caught 27 times against 36 steals. Not what you want to see.
Worley is potentially useful. Gose is no blue chipper. While we’ll await official word to pass final judgment, this looks like a big, big win for the Phillies and a mid-level starter (Happ) away from being a straight salary dump for Houston.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)