Jul 29, 2010, 3:48 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Red Sox “asked about” the availability of Trevor Hoffman, but are one of five teams on his no-trade list.
Rosenthal notes that general manager Theo Epstein knows Hoffman from their days together with the Padres, but that was an awfully long time ago and I can’t imagine the Red Sox trusting that he could be dependable in even a middle relief role moving to the AL.
Hoffman bounced back from a brutal start to the season, quietly throwing 20 innings with a 2.70 ERA, .222 opponents’ batting average, and 16/6 K/BB ratio since mid-May, but the thought of a homer-prone 42-year-old with a low-80s fastball and 6.82 ERA trying to get AL East hitters out at Fenway Park … well, it doesn’t sound pretty.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)