Jul 29, 2010, 11:30 AM EST
Earlier today we’d heard chatter that the Astros would be sending $8 million to the Phillies in the Roy Oswalt deal. That, combined with a couple of decent but not really high-ceiling prospects seems like a good deal for the Phillies, but it may be even better than that. Jayson Stark is now saying that $12 million would be coming back.
I can only assume that means that Philly has agreed to pick up Oswalt’s option and they’re asking for the vast majority of it to be subsidized by Houston. It could also mean, however, that the brand of prospect coming back is better than we thought before.
Jonathan Singleton maybe? Like Matt Rizzotti, he’s a 1B/DH. Unlike Rizzotti he’s young and projectable. Specifically, he’s 18 and is hitting .312/.418/.526 at A-ball.
If Singleton is in this deal, it’s way, way better for the Astros, money or no money.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)