Jul 29, 2010, 9:11 AM EDT
Joel Sherman reports that while the Mets have engaged in conversations with the Cubs about Ted Lilly, it’s now “very doubtful” that they’ll be able to do a deal for him. The sticking point: the Mets don’t want to pay the $4 million or so he’s owed for the rest of the year plus give up prospects for him.
Moreover, Sherman reports, there is no chance they can get the other pitcher about whom they’ve been inquiring — Brett Myers — because the Astros are showing no sign of wanting to move him. In this the Astros are apparently continuing to hold the rather confusing belief that they’ll have Brett Myers next season. There’s a mutual option for $8 million bucks, but with the kind of season Myers is having it certainly seems like he could land a multi-year deal someplace, so why would he stay in Houston?
In any event, time is not on the Mets’ side. After last night’s demoralizing loss, they stand 7.5 back in the East and 6.5 back in the Wild Card with five teams ahead of them. With Philly improving and Atlanta continuing to play good baseball, it’s hard to see how New York can make any headway absent landing a big fish.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)