Jul 29, 2010, 9:11 AM EDT
Joel Sherman reports that while the Mets have engaged in conversations with the Cubs about Ted Lilly, it’s now “very doubtful” that they’ll be able to do a deal for him. The sticking point: the Mets don’t want to pay the $4 million or so he’s owed for the rest of the year plus give up prospects for him.
Moreover, Sherman reports, there is no chance they can get the other pitcher about whom they’ve been inquiring — Brett Myers — because the Astros are showing no sign of wanting to move him. In this the Astros are apparently continuing to hold the rather confusing belief that they’ll have Brett Myers next season. There’s a mutual option for $8 million bucks, but with the kind of season Myers is having it certainly seems like he could land a multi-year deal someplace, so why would he stay in Houston?
In any event, time is not on the Mets’ side. After last night’s demoralizing loss, they stand 7.5 back in the East and 6.5 back in the Wild Card with five teams ahead of them. With Philly improving and Atlanta continuing to play good baseball, it’s hard to see how New York can make any headway absent landing a big fish.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 9
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 14
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 75
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)