Jul 29, 2010, 7:48 PM EST
Kerry Wood threw a scoreless minor league rehab inning on Thursday evening at Double-A Akron and is likely to rejoin the Indians before Friday’s game against the Blue Jays in Toronto. This according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer’s Paul Hoynes.
Wood has been on the disabled list since the middle of July with a blister on his right index finger. He had a 6.30 ERA, a 1.60 WHIP and an 18/11 K/BB ratio in 20 innings before the disabling, but the Indians are going to hand him ninth-inning duties once he returns to justify the nearly $4.5 million that he’s still owed this season.
Chris Perez has served as Cleveland’s closer in Wood’s absence and has been fantastic. The 25-year-old hasn’t allowed a run since June 27 and has converted his last five save opportunities. Wood, meanwhile, has blown three saves in 11 chances this season. But, hey, money talks.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 30
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 30
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 71
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)