Are Mets fans justified in booing K-Rod?

Jul 30, 2010, 9:28 AM EDT

Howard Megdal takes a look at Mets fan’ relationship with their expensive closer:

Francisco Rodriguez has held up his end of the bargain with the New York Mets and their fans.

He’s been a good closer, by any reasonable measure: the Mets have
called on him again and again to finish off the other guys, and the vast
majority of the time, that’s exactly what he’s done.

But the fans don’t generally like him all that much. They boo him
when he comes into games, or at least some of them do–enough to make
themselves understood.

You know how I feel about the booing. I think booing is uncalled for unless a guy just dogs it or rips his teammates or does something other than merely fail on the field despite his best efforts to succeed.

But I get it.  I think Howard has a good take here and I think you should read it, but I’d quibble with the “K-Rod has held up his end of the bargain” statement.  He has tried — I don’t know anyone who has suggested that he hasn’t — but he has been a less successful closer in New York than he was in Anaheim, and that, I think, is what people are reacting too.  I wouldn’t boo that, but I’m also in the minority on booing etiquette.

1. nps6724 - Jul 30, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Any time a Met is booed, it’s justified.

2. Ace2000 - Jul 30, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Booing him might be a little harsh, but I definitely get it. A typical K-Rod outing: he comes in with a 3 run lead, coughs up a run, loads the bases, throws about 30 pitches, and then wriggles out of it for the save. But the really infuriating part is that he then proceeds to jump up and down and pump his fist as if he had just dominated the opposition, while everyone in the stands is exhaustedly breathing a sigh of relief and unclenching their sphincters. I think if he reserved the over-the-top celebrations for only the clean outings, he’d get a little more respect from the fans.

3. Jonny5 - Jul 30, 2010 at 10:03 AM

I think Mets fans should boo their butts off. They should boo Him, Santana, and Rickey, they should boo Wright too while they’re at it. I don’t Boo players on my team. It’s bad Mojo.

4. BC - Jul 30, 2010 at 10:15 AM

K-Rod is not the Mets’ problem. If they could score more than 2 runs a game, they either wouldn’t have to use their bullpen as much or put it in a position where there’s no room for error all the time. Plus their bullpen depth overall sucks pond water. Pitching Nieve in like 50 out of the first 52 games drove him into the ground. They don’t have much else out there right now.

5. matt - Jul 30, 2010 at 10:37 AM

I think its the constant antics of him and guys like Reyes that annoy people. Those things like the constant finger pointing, the juvenile jumping around and fist pumping that many of their players do does not work well when the team is struggling. I caught the highlights of the mets win last night and it struck me how Reyes was hopping up and doing the hip bump with all the players after the game and you sit there in amazement how this dumb monkey can act like that when the team has once again faded into oblivion. There’a a whole core on that team that just doesn’t get it and thats why they’ve faded every year down the stretch. Last year it was supposedly the injuries. But what about the 2 prior years and now this year again? Its like watching little leaguers.

6. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Jul 30, 2010 at 10:42 AM

“He has tried — I don’t know anyone who has suggested that he hasn’t — but he has been a less successful closer in New York than he was in Anaheim, and that, I think, is what people are reacting too. I wouldn’t boo that, but I’m also in the minority on booing etiquette.”
    Not sure why you are saying he isn’t as good as he was in Anaheim, unless you expect him to reproduce the ’04 season?
    His K/9 is the highest since ’07, his BB/9 the lowest since ’06, FIP and xFIP since ’07, etc. He’s also on pace to throw more IP than G which hasn’t happened since ’07, and i don’t think he ever had to deal with throwing 350 pitches while he was in Anaheim like he did during that Stl game?
    So he’s blown one or two more saves than usual, and this is enough to justify booing him? Remember, this guy has always blown saves, even the year he had 62 saves he blew 7 of them.

7. Benny Blanco - Jul 30, 2010 at 11:00 AM

A blown save here and there is part of the game. This is not why he is booed. Met fans dont appreciate the guy because he practically never has a 1-2-3 inning. He is not the dominant closer the Mets paid him to be. Its extremely frustrating for Met fans. Every closer they bring in performed better before he was a Met and somehow continues to do so after he leaves the Mets. Billy Wagner being the perfect example.

8. MdEagle - Jul 30, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Well, if they’re not happy with K-Rod in New York, they could always trade him to the Phillies for Brad Lidge

9. SadPandaRevolt - Jul 30, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Hasn’t he made a habit of bitching (publicly) about being used in sitautions where he can’t get the save stat?

10. Cantankerous - Jul 30, 2010 at 9:09 PM

I’m always of the opinion that when Met fans boo underperforming players (and I wouldn’t put Rodriguez in that group, but I think a lot of fans do), they’re booing the front office as much as anything. It’s not Francisco Rodriguez’s fault he can’t save 62 games every year, it’s Minaya’s fault for giving him $12 million a season and making the fans think he should save 62. The same is true of Luis Castillo. He’s an oft-injured below average player. All he did was accept the contract he was offered, it’s Minaya who gave it to him in the first place.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3905)