Jul 30, 2010, 9:24 PM EDT
Here’s the haul from the Yankees. According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, who
has been on top of this trade all along, the Astros will receive
right-hander Mark Melancon and infielder Jimmy Paredes.
Melancon, 25, is 6-1 with a 3.67 ERA and 1.67 WHIP in 40 games with
Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre this season. He was ranked as the
organization’s No. 15 prospect coming into the season by Baseball
America, but has struggled with his control, walking five batters per
nine innings. The former ninth-round pick in 2006 has a 4.87 ERA in 15
major league appearances, all in relief.
Paredes, 21, has a .280/.313/.393 batting line over four seasons in the
minors. He plays all around the infield and has stolen 36 bases in 99
games with Single-A Charleston this season. He didn’t rank inside
Baseball America’s top 30 for the organization coming into the season.
All in all, pretty uninspiring. Considering the fact that the Astros are
paying anywhere from 3-4 million of the $7.5 million left on Berkman’s
deal, even more so.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 121
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (123)