Jul 30, 2010, 9:24 PM EDT
Here’s the haul from the Yankees. According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, who
has been on top of this trade all along, the Astros will receive
right-hander Mark Melancon and infielder Jimmy Paredes.
Melancon, 25, is 6-1 with a 3.67 ERA and 1.67 WHIP in 40 games with
Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre this season. He was ranked as the
organization’s No. 15 prospect coming into the season by Baseball
America, but has struggled with his control, walking five batters per
nine innings. The former ninth-round pick in 2006 has a 4.87 ERA in 15
major league appearances, all in relief.
Paredes, 21, has a .280/.313/.393 batting line over four seasons in the
minors. He plays all around the infield and has stolen 36 bases in 99
games with Single-A Charleston this season. He didn’t rank inside
Baseball America’s top 30 for the organization coming into the season.
All in all, pretty uninspiring. Considering the fact that the Astros are
paying anywhere from 3-4 million of the $7.5 million left on Berkman’s
deal, even more so.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)