Jul 30, 2010, 12:17 PM EDT
Who will be Washington’s closer now that Matt Capps is in Minnesota?
According to Bill Ladson of MLB.com the Nationals “will split the closer’s duties between Sean Burnett, Tyler Clippard, and Drew Storen.”
In theory, at least. The odds of manager Jim Riggleman truly going with a closer-by-committee approach for the rest of the season seem pretty long, so my guess is that he’ll give those three relievers various shots in various high-leverage situations before deciding on a primary closer soon enough.
Burnett would be the poorest fit for ninth-inning duties, but Clippard and Storen are both capable of doing the job well. Clippard has a 2.98 ERA, .195 opponents’ batting average, and 136 strikeouts in 121 career innings as a reliever. Storen was tabbed the Nationals “closer of the future” from the moment they made him the 10th overall pick in last year’s draft and has pitched well as a rookie despite some control issues, posting a 2.64 ERA, .234 opponents’ batting average, and 26 strikeouts in 31 innings.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 43
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 43
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 141
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (143)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)