Jul 30, 2010, 12:17 PM EST
Who will be Washington’s closer now that Matt Capps is in Minnesota?
According to Bill Ladson of MLB.com the Nationals “will split the closer’s duties between Sean Burnett, Tyler Clippard, and Drew Storen.”
In theory, at least. The odds of manager Jim Riggleman truly going with a closer-by-committee approach for the rest of the season seem pretty long, so my guess is that he’ll give those three relievers various shots in various high-leverage situations before deciding on a primary closer soon enough.
Burnett would be the poorest fit for ninth-inning duties, but Clippard and Storen are both capable of doing the job well. Clippard has a 2.98 ERA, .195 opponents’ batting average, and 136 strikeouts in 121 career innings as a reliever. Storen was tabbed the Nationals “closer of the future” from the moment they made him the 10th overall pick in last year’s draft and has pitched well as a rookie despite some control issues, posting a 2.64 ERA, .234 opponents’ batting average, and 26 strikeouts in 31 innings.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 73
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)