Jul 30, 2010, 12:17 PM EST
Who will be Washington’s closer now that Matt Capps is in Minnesota?
According to Bill Ladson of MLB.com the Nationals “will split the closer’s duties between Sean Burnett, Tyler Clippard, and Drew Storen.”
In theory, at least. The odds of manager Jim Riggleman truly going with a closer-by-committee approach for the rest of the season seem pretty long, so my guess is that he’ll give those three relievers various shots in various high-leverage situations before deciding on a primary closer soon enough.
Burnett would be the poorest fit for ninth-inning duties, but Clippard and Storen are both capable of doing the job well. Clippard has a 2.98 ERA, .195 opponents’ batting average, and 136 strikeouts in 121 career innings as a reliever. Storen was tabbed the Nationals “closer of the future” from the moment they made him the 10th overall pick in last year’s draft and has pitched well as a rookie despite some control issues, posting a 2.64 ERA, .234 opponents’ batting average, and 26 strikeouts in 31 innings.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 63
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 62
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)