Jul 30, 2010, 8:44 PM EDT
Fresh off three minor league rehab games with the Gulf Coast League Red Sox, Jacoby Ellsbury is set to play with Triple-A Pawtucket on Saturday and Sunday, according to Ian Browne of MLB.com.
Ellsbury was 3-for-7 with a stolen base with the GCL club and played all nine innings in center field on Thursday. He sounds awful close to a return from the disabled list.
“Hopefully I don’t need too many [Triple-A games], but it’s just nice to
get out there and start playing in some games,” said Ellsbury, who
worked out at Fenway Park on Friday. “I feel a lot better. I feel
comfortable. I played nine innings [Thursday]. I felt all right today. I
took batting practice. I’m ahead of the team’s schedule right now, so
Ellsbury is scheduled to be re-evaluated following Sunday’s game. The speedy outfielder has been limited to just nine games this season due to complications with fractured ribs.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 10
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 68
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 25
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 30
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (106)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)