Jul 30, 2010, 8:44 PM EDT
Fresh off three minor league rehab games with the Gulf Coast League Red Sox, Jacoby Ellsbury is set to play with Triple-A Pawtucket on Saturday and Sunday, according to Ian Browne of MLB.com.
Ellsbury was 3-for-7 with a stolen base with the GCL club and played all nine innings in center field on Thursday. He sounds awful close to a return from the disabled list.
“Hopefully I don’t need too many [Triple-A games], but it’s just nice to
get out there and start playing in some games,” said Ellsbury, who
worked out at Fenway Park on Friday. “I feel a lot better. I feel
comfortable. I played nine innings [Thursday]. I felt all right today. I
took batting practice. I’m ahead of the team’s schedule right now, so
Ellsbury is scheduled to be re-evaluated following Sunday’s game. The speedy outfielder has been limited to just nine games this season due to complications with fractured ribs.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 5
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 53
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 33
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)