Jul 30, 2010, 11:48 AM EDT
The good news is that a second opinion from Dr. Lewis Yocum has confirmed that Jamie Moyer does not need surgery to repair a sprained ulnar collateral ligament and strained tendon in his left elbow.
The bad news is that for a 47-year-old pitcher an arm injury obviously doesn’t need to require surgery in order to be career-ending.
Todd Zolecki of MLB.com reports that Moyer “acknowledged Thursday his chances of pitching again in 2010 are almost zero” but “still hopes to be back in 2011.” He also indicated that age probably played a factor in Yocum’s recommendation, because even a successful surgery and setback-free rehab would have left Moyer trying to make an unlikely comeback at age 49.
So now Moyer will “rehab diligently and give it time to heal” with an eye toward being ready for spring training. It may not be with Philadelphia, however, because Moyer is an impending free agent finishing up a two-year, $13 million deal and the Phillies may not want to commit to more than a minor-league contract for 2011.
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 26
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 110
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 31
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Royals’ bullpen blows no-hit bid in the eighth inning against the Tigers 7
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)