Jul 30, 2010, 6:16 PM EDT
According to Adam McCalvy of MLB.com, the Red Sox recently asked the Brewers about the availability of Jim Edmonds, however the 40-year-old outfielder isn’t sure that he’ll accept a trade to a contender.
No, Edmonds doesn’t have a no-trade clause — he was signed to an incentive-laden minor league contract — but Brewers general manager Doug Melvin promised that he would run any trade by him.
“I’m still thinking about all that’s going on,” Edmonds said. “I might
have more later, maybe even later today. I’m kind of kicking it around:
Should I or shouldn’t I? If something comes up, what should I do? “I don’t know if that would squash it,” Edmonds said.
“I don’t know if
it would even come up. There’s a lot going on right now behind the
scenes, and we’ll know more as the day goes on. It will be interesting.
[A trade] is still not beyond the question.”
Edmonds has only started one of the Brewers’ last seven games due to an injury to a right Achilles’ injury, however he is batting .289/.353/.513 with eight homers, 20 RBI and an 866 OPS over 197 at-bats this season and played excellent defense. He’s quite a success story after a full year out of the game. Edmonds would be a useful piece for many contending teams, but he holds the cards on his own fate.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 7
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)