Jul 30, 2010, 6:16 PM EST
According to Adam McCalvy of MLB.com, the Red Sox recently asked the Brewers about the availability of Jim Edmonds, however the 40-year-old outfielder isn’t sure that he’ll accept a trade to a contender.
No, Edmonds doesn’t have a no-trade clause — he was signed to an incentive-laden minor league contract — but Brewers general manager Doug Melvin promised that he would run any trade by him.
“I’m still thinking about all that’s going on,” Edmonds said. “I might
have more later, maybe even later today. I’m kind of kicking it around:
Should I or shouldn’t I? If something comes up, what should I do? “I don’t know if that would squash it,” Edmonds said.
“I don’t know if
it would even come up. There’s a lot going on right now behind the
scenes, and we’ll know more as the day goes on. It will be interesting.
[A trade] is still not beyond the question.”
Edmonds has only started one of the Brewers’ last seven games due to an injury to a right Achilles’ injury, however he is batting .289/.353/.513 with eight homers, 20 RBI and an 866 OPS over 197 at-bats this season and played excellent defense. He’s quite a success story after a full year out of the game. Edmonds would be a useful piece for many contending teams, but he holds the cards on his own fate.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 10
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 81
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (81)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (79)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)