Jul 30, 2010, 6:16 PM EDT
According to Adam McCalvy of MLB.com, the Red Sox recently asked the Brewers about the availability of Jim Edmonds, however the 40-year-old outfielder isn’t sure that he’ll accept a trade to a contender.
No, Edmonds doesn’t have a no-trade clause — he was signed to an incentive-laden minor league contract — but Brewers general manager Doug Melvin promised that he would run any trade by him.
“I’m still thinking about all that’s going on,” Edmonds said. “I might
have more later, maybe even later today. I’m kind of kicking it around:
Should I or shouldn’t I? If something comes up, what should I do? “I don’t know if that would squash it,” Edmonds said.
“I don’t know if
it would even come up. There’s a lot going on right now behind the
scenes, and we’ll know more as the day goes on. It will be interesting.
[A trade] is still not beyond the question.”
Edmonds has only started one of the Brewers’ last seven games due to an injury to a right Achilles’ injury, however he is batting .289/.353/.513 with eight homers, 20 RBI and an 866 OPS over 197 at-bats this season and played excellent defense. He’s quite a success story after a full year out of the game. Edmonds would be a useful piece for many contending teams, but he holds the cards on his own fate.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)