Jul 30, 2010, 6:16 PM EDT
According to Adam McCalvy of MLB.com, the Red Sox recently asked the Brewers about the availability of Jim Edmonds, however the 40-year-old outfielder isn’t sure that he’ll accept a trade to a contender.
No, Edmonds doesn’t have a no-trade clause — he was signed to an incentive-laden minor league contract — but Brewers general manager Doug Melvin promised that he would run any trade by him.
“I’m still thinking about all that’s going on,” Edmonds said. “I might
have more later, maybe even later today. I’m kind of kicking it around:
Should I or shouldn’t I? If something comes up, what should I do? “I don’t know if that would squash it,” Edmonds said.
“I don’t know if
it would even come up. There’s a lot going on right now behind the
scenes, and we’ll know more as the day goes on. It will be interesting.
[A trade] is still not beyond the question.”
Edmonds has only started one of the Brewers’ last seven games due to an injury to a right Achilles’ injury, however he is batting .289/.353/.513 with eight homers, 20 RBI and an 866 OPS over 197 at-bats this season and played excellent defense. He’s quite a success story after a full year out of the game. Edmonds would be a useful piece for many contending teams, but he holds the cards on his own fate.
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 0
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 21
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 11
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 41
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (91)