Jul 30, 2010, 6:16 PM EDT
According to Adam McCalvy of MLB.com, the Red Sox recently asked the Brewers about the availability of Jim Edmonds, however the 40-year-old outfielder isn’t sure that he’ll accept a trade to a contender.
No, Edmonds doesn’t have a no-trade clause — he was signed to an incentive-laden minor league contract — but Brewers general manager Doug Melvin promised that he would run any trade by him.
“I’m still thinking about all that’s going on,” Edmonds said. “I might
have more later, maybe even later today. I’m kind of kicking it around:
Should I or shouldn’t I? If something comes up, what should I do? “I don’t know if that would squash it,” Edmonds said.
“I don’t know if
it would even come up. There’s a lot going on right now behind the
scenes, and we’ll know more as the day goes on. It will be interesting.
[A trade] is still not beyond the question.”
Edmonds has only started one of the Brewers’ last seven games due to an injury to a right Achilles’ injury, however he is batting .289/.353/.513 with eight homers, 20 RBI and an 866 OPS over 197 at-bats this season and played excellent defense. He’s quite a success story after a full year out of the game. Edmonds would be a useful piece for many contending teams, but he holds the cards on his own fate.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 59
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)