Jul 30, 2010, 6:41 PM EDT
New Orioles manager Buck Showalter confirmed to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun that he will be keeping the team’s current coaching staff through the end of the season.
So, where does that leave interim skipper Juan Samuel? Well, Showalter already told Samuel that he would like to retain him as his third base coach.
“I would not be uncomfortable with him,” Showalter said. “I don’t know
Juan, but his reputation is very good. He is well-respected in baseball.
… I would make it as comfortable as I can for him. I try to surround
myself with the best baseball people I can.”
It might not happen. According to Connolly, Samuel is “leaning toward” stepping down and will mull his decision over the weekend. An official decision isn’t likely to be announced until he meets with team president Andy MacPhail early next week. Showalter is set to make his debut as O’s manager on Tuesday against the Angels.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 41
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 74
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 67
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 99
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (99)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (85)