Jul 30, 2010, 6:41 PM EDT
New Orioles manager Buck Showalter confirmed to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun that he will be keeping the team’s current coaching staff through the end of the season.
So, where does that leave interim skipper Juan Samuel? Well, Showalter already told Samuel that he would like to retain him as his third base coach.
“I would not be uncomfortable with him,” Showalter said. “I don’t know
Juan, but his reputation is very good. He is well-respected in baseball.
… I would make it as comfortable as I can for him. I try to surround
myself with the best baseball people I can.”
It might not happen. According to Connolly, Samuel is “leaning toward” stepping down and will mull his decision over the weekend. An official decision isn’t likely to be announced until he meets with team president Andy MacPhail early next week. Showalter is set to make his debut as O’s manager on Tuesday against the Angels.
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 8
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 3
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 7
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 80
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (86)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)