Jul 30, 2010, 12:43 AM EST
Here’s a fun one to tide us all over until the rumors begin swirling again early Friday morning.
According to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com, the Rangers asked the Marlins about the availability of 26-year-old ace Josh Johnson while they were finishing up negotiations for infielder Jorge Cantu this week. The Rangers even offered the Marlins their top three prospects, and if you’re familiar with that club’s farm system you know we’re talking about serious talent.
Of course, the Fish told the Rangers immediately that Johnson is “unmovable.” The right-hander has posted a 10-3 record, a 1.00 WHIP and 146 strikeouts in 141.1 innings this season in south Florida. He leads all major leaguers with a 1.72 ERA and he’s under team control through 2013 at a very affordable price.
Nice try, Rangers. Isn’t the trade deadline a blast?
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 54
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 23
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 26
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 23
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)