Jul 30, 2010, 12:43 AM EDT
Here’s a fun one to tide us all over until the rumors begin swirling again early Friday morning.
According to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com, the Rangers asked the Marlins about the availability of 26-year-old ace Josh Johnson while they were finishing up negotiations for infielder Jorge Cantu this week. The Rangers even offered the Marlins their top three prospects, and if you’re familiar with that club’s farm system you know we’re talking about serious talent.
Of course, the Fish told the Rangers immediately that Johnson is “unmovable.” The right-hander has posted a 10-3 record, a 1.00 WHIP and 146 strikeouts in 141.1 innings this season in south Florida. He leads all major leaguers with a 1.72 ERA and he’s under team control through 2013 at a very affordable price.
Nice try, Rangers. Isn’t the trade deadline a blast?
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 22
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 10
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 100
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (101)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)