Jul 30, 2010, 5:05 PM EDT
Though there are a couple of dissenters, multiple other sources are reporting that the Pirates and Padres are nearing a deal for Pirates’ started Paul Maholm. Tim Brown at Yahoo! just said that the teams were “close.”
I”m never sure what to make of these types of conflicts. It seems easier to assume that some guys are of the loop and thus don’t know that something is going on than it is to assume that multiple people are simply being lied to or making something up, but weirder things have happened.
But let’s assume the talks are legit: The Padres have great pitching overall, but they could use some rotation depth and, of course, don’t know if Mat Latos can truly hold up all year, even if they try to make him. Maholm is 6-9 this year with a 4.52 ERA. He doesn’t strike out enough guys and he walks a few too many, but Petco is a forgiving park, so who knows?
No word yet on who would come back to Pittsburgh.
- The beauty of belief 14
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 34
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 70
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 15
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)