Jul 30, 2010, 3:17 PM EST
According to Buster Olney of ESPN.com the Indians are “getting significant hits on Jake Westbrook.”
Olney speculates that the Cardinals could be a good fit and Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch quickly chimed in to agree that St. Louis makes sense as a destination for the veteran right-hander.
Westbrook missed all of last season following Tommy John elbow surgery, but has picked up right where he left off as a solid mid-rotation starter with a 4.65 ERA in 21 starts, including a 4.30 mark in his last 15 outings. If the Indians are willing to eat some of his remaining salary, the impending free agent could be a decent fall-back plan for contenders.
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 9
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 64
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 81
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 61
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)