Jul 30, 2010, 3:17 PM EDT
According to Buster Olney of ESPN.com the Indians are “getting significant hits on Jake Westbrook.”
Olney speculates that the Cardinals could be a good fit and Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch quickly chimed in to agree that St. Louis makes sense as a destination for the veteran right-hander.
Westbrook missed all of last season following Tommy John elbow surgery, but has picked up right where he left off as a solid mid-rotation starter with a 4.65 ERA in 21 starts, including a 4.30 mark in his last 15 outings. If the Indians are willing to eat some of his remaining salary, the impending free agent could be a decent fall-back plan for contenders.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 63
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 62
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29