Jul 30, 2010, 3:17 PM EDT
According to Buster Olney of ESPN.com the Indians are “getting significant hits on Jake Westbrook.”
Olney speculates that the Cardinals could be a good fit and Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch quickly chimed in to agree that St. Louis makes sense as a destination for the veteran right-hander.
Westbrook missed all of last season following Tommy John elbow surgery, but has picked up right where he left off as a solid mid-rotation starter with a 4.65 ERA in 21 starts, including a 4.30 mark in his last 15 outings. If the Indians are willing to eat some of his remaining salary, the impending free agent could be a decent fall-back plan for contenders.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 7
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 26
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)