Jul 30, 2010, 7:44 PM EST
According to Jayson Stark of ESPN.com, the Rockies couldn’t trade Brad Hawpe right now “no matter what.” The reason? They might need to play Hawpe at first base depending upon the health of Todd Helton.
Don’t buy it. It would behoove the Rockies to trade Hawpe now if they have no intention of picking up his $10 million option for next season. Factoring in his horrible defense, his futility against left-handers and the fact that Seth Smith, Carlos Gonzalez and Dexter Fowler would make for a cheaper and more dynamic outfield, it’s very unlikely they will.
If the Rockies are truly sellers, they should be able to get by for a couple months of Jason Giambi, Melvin Mora and Brad Elrded at first base if it means getting a promising prospect or two. Hey, they could even find out if first base is a way to get Chris Iannetta in the lineup more regularly.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (102)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)