Jul 30, 2010, 7:44 PM EDT
According to Jayson Stark of ESPN.com, the Rockies couldn’t trade Brad Hawpe right now “no matter what.” The reason? They might need to play Hawpe at first base depending upon the health of Todd Helton.
Don’t buy it. It would behoove the Rockies to trade Hawpe now if they have no intention of picking up his $10 million option for next season. Factoring in his horrible defense, his futility against left-handers and the fact that Seth Smith, Carlos Gonzalez and Dexter Fowler would make for a cheaper and more dynamic outfield, it’s very unlikely they will.
If the Rockies are truly sellers, they should be able to get by for a couple months of Jason Giambi, Melvin Mora and Brad Elrded at first base if it means getting a promising prospect or two. Hey, they could even find out if first base is a way to get Chris Iannetta in the lineup more regularly.
- Today is the Sox’ annual Patriot’s Day game. It’s more significant now than ever. 12
- Boswell: “Harper may be the Nats’ seventh-best player” 52
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 71
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 10
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 180
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (249)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (180)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (113)