Jul 30, 2010, 7:44 PM EDT
According to Jayson Stark of ESPN.com, the Rockies couldn’t trade Brad Hawpe right now “no matter what.” The reason? They might need to play Hawpe at first base depending upon the health of Todd Helton.
Don’t buy it. It would behoove the Rockies to trade Hawpe now if they have no intention of picking up his $10 million option for next season. Factoring in his horrible defense, his futility against left-handers and the fact that Seth Smith, Carlos Gonzalez and Dexter Fowler would make for a cheaper and more dynamic outfield, it’s very unlikely they will.
If the Rockies are truly sellers, they should be able to get by for a couple months of Jason Giambi, Melvin Mora and Brad Elrded at first base if it means getting a promising prospect or two. Hey, they could even find out if first base is a way to get Chris Iannetta in the lineup more regularly.
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)