Jul 30, 2010, 1:15 PM EDT
Miguel Batista made headlines for replacing Stephen Strasburg at the last minute earlier this week, but now that Strasburg has been put on the disabled list the Nationals are turning to John Lannan as his actual rotation replacement.
Back before the world’s greatest pitching prospect arrived on the scene Lannan was the Opening Day starter for Washington, but last month the Nationals demoted him all the way down to Double-A after he went 2-5 with a 5.76 ERA in 14 starts.
Lannan wasn’t much better in the minors, going 1-4 with a 4.20 ERA and .306 opponents’ batting average in seven outings, but Sunday he’ll face the same Phillies lineup he lost to on Opening Day and will probably stick in the rotation until Strasburg’s shoulder is deemed healthy enough for him to return.
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 20
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 44
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 101
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 59