Jul 30, 2010, 1:15 PM EST
Miguel Batista made headlines for replacing Stephen Strasburg at the last minute earlier this week, but now that Strasburg has been put on the disabled list the Nationals are turning to John Lannan as his actual rotation replacement.
Back before the world’s greatest pitching prospect arrived on the scene Lannan was the Opening Day starter for Washington, but last month the Nationals demoted him all the way down to Double-A after he went 2-5 with a 5.76 ERA in 14 starts.
Lannan wasn’t much better in the minors, going 1-4 with a 4.20 ERA and .306 opponents’ batting average in seven outings, but Sunday he’ll face the same Phillies lineup he lost to on Opening Day and will probably stick in the rotation until Strasburg’s shoulder is deemed healthy enough for him to return.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)