Jul 30, 2010, 1:15 PM EDT
Miguel Batista made headlines for replacing Stephen Strasburg at the last minute earlier this week, but now that Strasburg has been put on the disabled list the Nationals are turning to John Lannan as his actual rotation replacement.
Back before the world’s greatest pitching prospect arrived on the scene Lannan was the Opening Day starter for Washington, but last month the Nationals demoted him all the way down to Double-A after he went 2-5 with a 5.76 ERA in 14 starts.
Lannan wasn’t much better in the minors, going 1-4 with a 4.20 ERA and .306 opponents’ batting average in seven outings, but Sunday he’ll face the same Phillies lineup he lost to on Opening Day and will probably stick in the rotation until Strasburg’s shoulder is deemed healthy enough for him to return.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 76
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)