Jul 30, 2010, 4:06 PM EDT
The general consensus immediately after the Oswalt deal was announced yesterday was that the Astros got hosed. Then, after some time, more and more voices spoke up saying, “hey, don’t you think that if there was a better deal out there the Astros would have taken it?”
Well, maybe not, because Joel Sherman reports that the Astros may not have known if there was a better deal out there:
Executives from multiple teams complained they had no idea the Astros
were willing to include $11 million of the $23.5 million owed Oswalt
through next year and his 2012 option as they did to move him to the
Phillies . . .
Sherman notes that while the Yankees and Mets were unaware of the money, it’s possible that Houston wouldn’t have offered to send money to those teams anyway, which is a good point. But Sherman implies that the last quote came from a different team altogether that may very well have been in on Oswalt if they knew that it was a good deal financially speaking.
When we call a trade dumb, we risk making faulty assumptions about the market. But we do the same thing when we assume that general managers run out every potential ground ball when going to make a deal.
On this one it sounds like Ed Wade locked in on the Phillies and very well might have bypassed other, better deals.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)