Jul 30, 2010, 4:06 PM EDT
The general consensus immediately after the Oswalt deal was announced yesterday was that the Astros got hosed. Then, after some time, more and more voices spoke up saying, “hey, don’t you think that if there was a better deal out there the Astros would have taken it?”
Well, maybe not, because Joel Sherman reports that the Astros may not have known if there was a better deal out there:
Executives from multiple teams complained they had no idea the Astros
were willing to include $11 million of the $23.5 million owed Oswalt
through next year and his 2012 option as they did to move him to the
Phillies . . .
Sherman notes that while the Yankees and Mets were unaware of the money, it’s possible that Houston wouldn’t have offered to send money to those teams anyway, which is a good point. But Sherman implies that the last quote came from a different team altogether that may very well have been in on Oswalt if they knew that it was a good deal financially speaking.
When we call a trade dumb, we risk making faulty assumptions about the market. But we do the same thing when we assume that general managers run out every potential ground ball when going to make a deal.
On this one it sounds like Ed Wade locked in on the Phillies and very well might have bypassed other, better deals.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 23
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 82
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 8
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 17
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (84)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)