Jul 30, 2010, 5:40 PM EDT
Scott Downs has been the best reliever available since the trade deadline Bacchanalia began, but Jayson Stark is now saying that he’s likely not going anywhere. Why? Mostly because the Blue Jays have continued to ask a hell of a lot for him. They may just keep him, he says, and go to arbitration with him this winter.
Jon Paul Morosi, however, is saying that the Twins — though probably not able to swing a deal — are still holding out a bit of interest. Which would be a tragedy for me on a personal level. That’s because if the Twins were willing to trade Wilson Ramos for Matt Capps, they’d probably trade Justin Morneau and cash for Downs, which would give Gleeman a coronary, and then I’d be stuck writing this blog all by myself.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)