Jul 30, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
For a team that’s going to be auctioned on the courthouse steps next week, the Rangers sure are active little buggers this summer, aren’t they?
First it was Cliff Lee, then Bengie Molina, then Jorge Cantu. This afternoon they picked up Cristian Guzman from the Nationals for a couple of prospects whose names (a) we don’t know; and (b) aren’t likely to be near the top of any top prospects lists anyway.
For the Rangers, Guzman will likely fill in for the injured Ian Kinsler and provide some veteran presence ™ off the bench as they approach the postseason. From the Nats’ perspective, they just lost a guy who has played there since Ted Williams was managing, so that’s a bit of a loss from an anthropological perspective.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 5
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (250)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)