Jul 30, 2010, 6:06 AM EDT
Ken Rosenthal apparently doesn’t sleep this time of year, and he reported early this morning that the White Sox were in “serious discussions” with the Diamondbacks regarding an Edwin Jackson for Daniel Hudson trade. A few minutes ago Joe Cowley tweeted that the deal could go down as soon as this morning. The deal would have the Sox sending an additional prospect along with Hudson.
Both Rosenthal and Cowley are leaning in the direction of this being a move in which the Sox would bolster their rotation, but it’s worth noting (as Rosenthal does before playing it down) that the Nationals have been rumored to want Edwin Jackson for weeks now, and they happen to have one Adam Dunn, who the Sox want.
I understand that the Sox are in a playoff race and don’t really trust Daniel Hudson right now, but Edwin Jackson — no hitter notwithstanding — is no great shakes himself. He’s got a 5.16 ERA, has a WHIP of 1.49 and leads the league in wild pitches for cryin’ out loud. If the Nats are still at all interested in the guy, it seems almost criminal to not try to flip him for Dunn.
And if it really is pitching you want, aren’t there any better available options than Edwin Jackson?
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)