Jul 30, 2010, 6:06 AM EST
Ken Rosenthal apparently doesn’t sleep this time of year, and he reported early this morning that the White Sox were in “serious discussions” with the Diamondbacks regarding an Edwin Jackson for Daniel Hudson trade. A few minutes ago Joe Cowley tweeted that the deal could go down as soon as this morning. The deal would have the Sox sending an additional prospect along with Hudson.
Both Rosenthal and Cowley are leaning in the direction of this being a move in which the Sox would bolster their rotation, but it’s worth noting (as Rosenthal does before playing it down) that the Nationals have been rumored to want Edwin Jackson for weeks now, and they happen to have one Adam Dunn, who the Sox want.
I understand that the Sox are in a playoff race and don’t really trust Daniel Hudson right now, but Edwin Jackson — no hitter notwithstanding — is no great shakes himself. He’s got a 5.16 ERA, has a WHIP of 1.49 and leads the league in wild pitches for cryin’ out loud. If the Nats are still at all interested in the guy, it seems almost criminal to not try to flip him for Dunn.
And if it really is pitching you want, aren’t there any better available options than Edwin Jackson?
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 41
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)