Jul 30, 2010, 6:06 AM EDT
Ken Rosenthal apparently doesn’t sleep this time of year, and he reported early this morning that the White Sox were in “serious discussions” with the Diamondbacks regarding an Edwin Jackson for Daniel Hudson trade. A few minutes ago Joe Cowley tweeted that the deal could go down as soon as this morning. The deal would have the Sox sending an additional prospect along with Hudson.
Both Rosenthal and Cowley are leaning in the direction of this being a move in which the Sox would bolster their rotation, but it’s worth noting (as Rosenthal does before playing it down) that the Nationals have been rumored to want Edwin Jackson for weeks now, and they happen to have one Adam Dunn, who the Sox want.
I understand that the Sox are in a playoff race and don’t really trust Daniel Hudson right now, but Edwin Jackson — no hitter notwithstanding — is no great shakes himself. He’s got a 5.16 ERA, has a WHIP of 1.49 and leads the league in wild pitches for cryin’ out loud. If the Nats are still at all interested in the guy, it seems almost criminal to not try to flip him for Dunn.
And if it really is pitching you want, aren’t there any better available options than Edwin Jackson?
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 17
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 9
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)