What they're saying about the Roy Oswalt trade

Jul 30, 2010, 8:05 AM EDT

As always, I think Charlie Manuel says it best.

Reaction from around the blogosphere about the Phillies landing Roy Oswalt:

• Jerry Manuel: “A move like that, it gets your attention. He’s one of the top guys out there. To have that piece in your rotation is quite an improvement.”
  • Charlie Manuel:
    “Gee, fellas, that’s just swell. That kid’s got moxie. Now let’s go out
    and give Atlanta the business, get me?” (note: my notes were a bit
    garbled so that quote may not be 100% accurate)
  • Crashburn Alley:
    The Phillies absolutely 100% swindled Astros GM Ed Wade . . . As much
    as GM Ruben Amaro has been criticized, he deserves some praise for this
    highway robbery.
  • Rob Neyer: “It’s hard to believe the Astros couldn’t have done better than this . . . But then again, if they could have done appreciably better, wouldn’t
    they have?”
  • The 700 Level: “Halladay, Hamels, Oswalt. I just keep saying it over and over.”
  • The Crawfish Boxes: “Is this a great return for Oswalt?  No.  But it’s not terrible.  The
    Astros get a piece to help them now, and some pieces with huge
    potential.  Give these players a chance and let’s see how it goes.”
  • FanGraphs: “Trading Oswalt was one of the team’s few opportunities to find its next
    star, and they didn’t do it. This is a team mining for role players when
    they don’t have the budget to find their foundation pieces through free
    agency. It’s terribly misguided management.”
  • Richard Justice: “The Astros didn’t get lousy overnight, and they’re not going to be fixed
    overnight. But they made a significant step in the right direction on
    Thursday.”
  • Paul Hagen: “no matter how they try to spin it, it’s a tacit admission that well, er,
    gee, they probably should have just held onto Lee in the first place.”

I guess that covers the bases. I agree with most of that stuff, though really guys, the Cliff Lee ship left the harbor months ago. Probably time to give up that line of reasoning, no?

1. BDawk - Jul 30, 2010 at 8:51 AM

Nope – here’s why:
    Blanton – $8 Million (Through 11)
    Moyer – $6 Million (Through 10)
    Oswalt – $6 Million (Through 11)
    Lee’s Pitching > Blanton + Moyer.
    Lee + Happ’s Salary Salary (Even WITH a Lee extension)

2. john j pileggi - Jul 30, 2010 at 8:55 AM

Credit Phils management with aggressiveness and courage. They want back into the World Series and doing what is needed.

3. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 30, 2010 at 8:58 AM

I have been the biggest whiner about the Lee trade, and this deal officially makes me feel better about not having Lee.
    HOWEVER, I will NOT give Amaro credit for this, only because I have read multiple places that this was a 6 person deal…Amaro/Gillick/Montgomery for Phillies and McClain/Wade/President of Astros…meaning that Amaro was once again over his head and needed some help to make sure he didn’t get fleeced AGAIN.
    Also, this is CLEARLY an admission that the Lee trade was a major f up and so the best thing I can say is that at least Amaro had the balls to admit his colossal screw up and make it right. So that’s the smallest shred of credit I can give him. To make him the winner of the week, as the bozos on the 610 morning show did, is simply ridiculous.

4. Jonny5 - Jul 30, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Maybe the reason Lee was dumped in the first place, was because the Phills knew Oswalt would be available on the cheap? Through 2011…
    Just a thought.
    No one thinks that GM’s today are so short sighted that they don’t think of future trades in the making do they? I mean, it wouldn’t even take a rocket scientist to figure out the Astros would have to dump Oswalt by the deadline 2010. And having Halladay, Lee, Oswalt, and Hamels is just plain greedy and guttony, and ‘ya all know that’s a sin, Cholly ain’t inta no sinnin’ he’s a gawd fearin’ man.

5. BDawk - Jul 30, 2010 at 9:12 AM

And they screwed up my post:
    Nope – here’s why:
    Blanton – $8 Million/year (Through 11)
    Moyer – $6 Million (Through 10)
    Oswalt – $3 Million/ year (Through 11 – $22 Million total if we keep him in 2012)
    Lee’s Pitching > Blanton + Moyer.
    Lee + Happ’s Salary

6. Jonny5 - Jul 30, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Ok I meant Gluttony, but I’m sure y’all knew that. And Chris when an Ace is being traded, all these guys would be chatting anyway, for any team. The Owner probably has more say than a GM, except with Texas, because Nolan Ryan would punch someone in their face, but that’s besides the point. I’m sure they’re even in on the minor league guys. Sure the GM gives the direction but I doubt they’re the trigger man on the final decision on any trade. This is big $$ and it’s a big deal.

7. BDawk - Jul 30, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Can this site post anything right? Geez guys.

8. CJ - Jul 30, 2010 at 10:28 AM

You’re giving Rube WAAAAAAAAAAAAY to much credit there. He’s not that smart. If he could look that far down the line, he could’ve realized that he could’ve waited a couple days to get more for Lee, instead of fearing the public backlash of waiting, and taking the first offer that came along just so we Phils fans couldn’t get used to the idea of having Hallday and Lee in the same rotation.

9. Ditto65 - Jul 30, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Lee trade: Bad for Phillies; Good for Yankees. ;-)

10. Jonny5 - Jul 30, 2010 at 10:49 AM

I don’t think so, he’s the General Manager for a major league ball club. He is that smart, or he wouldn’t be the GM. And even smart people can make bad decisions. Sometimes the GM’s boss can be an idiot and lean on their emploee to do things such as “trade a guy now”. I laugh when people talk about how dumb managers are, when they pretty much run a fortune 500 company. Dude, you got Roy Halladay on your team. You have Roy Oswalt, both were good deals, both are among the very best in the game. And Ruben Amaro isn’t that smart?

11. Jimee Johnson - Jul 30, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Bad for Phillies? Lee is in the American League. Perhaps you allude to the idea that Lee will go to the Yankees next season. How is that bad for the Phillies, unless they have to face him in the World Series?

12. Al - Jul 30, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Oswalt has seen his better days. Nobody is afraid of facing him. He is just an ordinary #4 starter on a good team and will not impact the race.

13. phils - Jul 30, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Better days huh? Oswalt’s record for his whole career for August, September and October is 56-16. I’ll take those better days any day of the week. And that’s even playing on some bad teams. And if you through in the post season for his career then he is 60-16.

14. phils - Jul 30, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Better days huh? If you check out Oswalt’s record for August, September and October for his whole career its 56-16. I’ll take that any day of the week and that’s playing on some bad teams. And if you throw in the post season then his record is 60-16.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win