Jul 30, 2010, 9:28 PM EDT
Just a short while ago, Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com tipped us off that Austin Kearns was removed from the seventh inning of tonight’s game against the Blue Jays for a pinch-runner. Very curiously timed because of tomorrow’s trade deadline.
Well, it was done for a very important reason, because the Yankees have acquired Kearns, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com. The Indians are expected to receive a player to be named later or cash considerations.
Kearns, who was signed to a minor league contract over the winter, has had somewhat of a resurgent season with the Tribe, batting .272/.354/.419 with eight homers and 42 RBI in 301 at-bats. At minimum, he’ll give Joe Girardi a right-handed bat off the bench capable of playing all three outfield positions.
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 7
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)