Jul 30, 2010, 9:28 PM EDT
Just a short while ago, Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com tipped us off that Austin Kearns was removed from the seventh inning of tonight’s game against the Blue Jays for a pinch-runner. Very curiously timed because of tomorrow’s trade deadline.
Well, it was done for a very important reason, because the Yankees have acquired Kearns, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com. The Indians are expected to receive a player to be named later or cash considerations.
Kearns, who was signed to a minor league contract over the winter, has had somewhat of a resurgent season with the Tribe, batting .272/.354/.419 with eight homers and 42 RBI in 301 at-bats. At minimum, he’ll give Joe Girardi a right-handed bat off the bench capable of playing all three outfield positions.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 7
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 9
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 8
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 54
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 41
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (110)