Jul 30, 2010, 9:28 PM EDT
Just a short while ago, Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com tipped us off that Austin Kearns was removed from the seventh inning of tonight’s game against the Blue Jays for a pinch-runner. Very curiously timed because of tomorrow’s trade deadline.
Well, it was done for a very important reason, because the Yankees have acquired Kearns, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com. The Indians are expected to receive a player to be named later or cash considerations.
Kearns, who was signed to a minor league contract over the winter, has had somewhat of a resurgent season with the Tribe, batting .272/.354/.419 with eight homers and 42 RBI in 301 at-bats. At minimum, he’ll give Joe Girardi a right-handed bat off the bench capable of playing all three outfield positions.
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 100
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 3
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 150
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 11
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (152)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)