Jul 31, 2010, 1:58 PM EDT
Now that the Lance Berkman trade is officially official, the Astros are already turning the page, purchasing the contract of Brett Wallace from Triple-A Round Rock. The 23-year-old will make his major league debut against the Brewers tonight, batting sixth and playing first base.
Wallace was acquired from the Blue Jays in exchange for outfielder Anthony Gose on Thursday. He has now been traded three times since being selected in the first round of the 2008 First-Year Player Draft by the Cardinals. Wallace has a .304/.375/.487 batting line over parts of three seasons in the minor leagues and was batting .301/.359/.509 with 18 homers and 61 RBI with Triple-A Las Vegas this season in the hitter-friendly PCL league.
Drafted as a third baseman, Wallace began to make the transition to first base last year. While he’s still a very good power prospect, he has yet to make much progress with his plate discipline, posting a 116/47 K/BB ratio in 532 at-bats in 2009 and an 83/27 K/BB ratio over 385 at-bats this season.
It will be tough to shake the inevitable comparisons of the man he is about to replace, but Wallace is no Berkman. He should still prove to be a pretty solid major league regular, though.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (210)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (121)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)