Jul 31, 2010, 12:04 PM EST
UPDATE: Harmonic convergence between the Westbrook and Ludwick rumors. It’s a three-way deal. The Padres get Ryan Ludwick. The Cardinals get Jake Westbrook and a prospect from the Padres. The Indians get prospects only, one of whom is known to be AA pitcher Corey Kluber. Tom Krasovic says it’s done all except for the union OK.
This is a bit of a head-scratcher for St. Louis, I think. Westbrook is a nice addition and gives them a strong 1-4 rotation, but they really can’t afford to lose a bat at the moment.
11:53 A.M.: Anthony Castrovince is now saying that a third team may be involved in the Westbrook deal.
11:25 A.M.: Paul Hoynes of the Plain Dealer tweets that the Indians and Cardinals are close to a deal for Jake Westbrook.
As D.J. noted last night, he seems like a pretty good fit for St. Louis. As Aaron noted a few minutes ago, he’s still listed as the starter for today’s Indians game. I’m guessing we’ll hear about him being scratched for someone else before we hear about the deal actually going down.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (92)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)