Jul 31, 2010, 12:04 PM EST
UPDATE: Harmonic convergence between the Westbrook and Ludwick rumors. It’s a three-way deal. The Padres get Ryan Ludwick. The Cardinals get Jake Westbrook and a prospect from the Padres. The Indians get prospects only, one of whom is known to be AA pitcher Corey Kluber. Tom Krasovic says it’s done all except for the union OK.
This is a bit of a head-scratcher for St. Louis, I think. Westbrook is a nice addition and gives them a strong 1-4 rotation, but they really can’t afford to lose a bat at the moment.
11:53 A.M.: Anthony Castrovince is now saying that a third team may be involved in the Westbrook deal.
11:25 A.M.: Paul Hoynes of the Plain Dealer tweets that the Indians and Cardinals are close to a deal for Jake Westbrook.
As D.J. noted last night, he seems like a pretty good fit for St. Louis. As Aaron noted a few minutes ago, he’s still listed as the starter for today’s Indians game. I’m guessing we’ll hear about him being scratched for someone else before we hear about the deal actually going down.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 30
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 63
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)