Jul 31, 2010, 12:04 PM EDT
UPDATE: Harmonic convergence between the Westbrook and Ludwick rumors. It’s a three-way deal. The Padres get Ryan Ludwick. The Cardinals get Jake Westbrook and a prospect from the Padres. The Indians get prospects only, one of whom is known to be AA pitcher Corey Kluber. Tom Krasovic says it’s done all except for the union OK.
This is a bit of a head-scratcher for St. Louis, I think. Westbrook is a nice addition and gives them a strong 1-4 rotation, but they really can’t afford to lose a bat at the moment.
11:53 A.M.: Anthony Castrovince is now saying that a third team may be involved in the Westbrook deal.
11:25 A.M.: Paul Hoynes of the Plain Dealer tweets that the Indians and Cardinals are close to a deal for Jake Westbrook.
As D.J. noted last night, he seems like a pretty good fit for St. Louis. As Aaron noted a few minutes ago, he’s still listed as the starter for today’s Indians game. I’m guessing we’ll hear about him being scratched for someone else before we hear about the deal actually going down.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)