Jul 31, 2010, 2:10 PM EST
Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that the rumored trade sending Ted Lilly and Ryan Theriot to the Dodgers is complete.
Blake DeWitt is heading back to Chicago, with the Cubs also expected to get Double-A reliever Kyle Smit and 2009 third-round pick Brett Wallach.
Theriot will replace DeWitt at second base for Los Angeles and isn’t really much of an upgrade, plus he’s older, much more expensive, and closer to free agency.
Lilly is a nice addition to the Dodgers’ rotation, but might be too little too late given that they’re seven games back in the NL West and 5.5 games out of the Wild Card spot.
Seems like a no-brainer for the Cubs, who get younger and cheaper at second base while adding a couple useful prospects, although Lilly’s potential status as a Type A free agent has a chance to change the overall value of the deal.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 121
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (368)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (124)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)