Jul 31, 2010, 1:04 PM EDT
A three-way deal has gone down between the Indians, the Cardinals and the Padres. The breakdown:
- The Indians send starter Jake Westbrook to the Cardinals;
- The Cardinals send outfielder Ryan Ludwick to the Padres;
- The Padres send prospects to the Cardinals and the Indians. We’re not yet sure if this is all of them, but the Indians are getting AA pitcher Corey Kluber and the Cardinals are getting A-ball pitcher Nick Greenwood.
deal makes total sense for the Indians and Padres. Cleveland unloads an expensive pitcher in exchange for young talent and the Padres get a much-needed bat (Ludwick is hitting .281/.343.484). This addresses needs both clubs have.
It remains a bit of a head-scratcher for St. Louis. Yes, Westbrook — 6-7, 4.65 ERA, 1.154 WHIP — gives them a far more solid number four starter than they’ve had, so that’s good. But still: this is a Cardinals offense that has been inconsistent all year and likely can’t afford to lose much pop. I suppose it gives John Jay and everyday job, but the Cardinals are taking a bit of a roll of the dice on him.
The prospect heading to Cleveland — Corey Kluber — is a 24 year-old right-handed starter in AA. He strikes out more than a man per inning and seems to have pretty decent control. He may be a find. The fellow going to St. Louis — Nick Greenwood — is a 23 year-old lefty swingman, currently in his second go-around in high-A ball. Nice control, but nothing pops out at you.
Good deal for San Diego and Cleveland. The Cardinals? Well, they needed one bat and a starter before today. Now they need two bats. Your mileage may vary as to whether that’s an improvement.
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 21
- Dodgers acquire Mat Latos and Michael Morse from Marlins 42
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 42
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 31
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 52
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 65
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)