Jul 31, 2010, 4:12 PM EDT
Not exactly a blockbuster trade, but the Giants have added Javier Lopez to their bullpen as a left-handed specialist (or LOOGY).
Lopez has held lefties to a .243/.337/.351 mark in 282 career innings, but the same arm angle that makes him so effective versus lefties has led to righties knocking him around to the tune of .297/.380/.437.
He’s a useful enough bullpen addition for the stretch run, but I like the move for the Pirates because Bowker’s minor-league track record suggests he can still be a solid hitter even if he hasn’t shown it in the majors yet. Martinez doesn’t do much for me, but the Pirates should be able to get some decent middle relief or back-of-the-rotation work from him at least.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)