Jul 31, 2010, 4:12 PM EDT
Not exactly a blockbuster trade, but the Giants have added Javier Lopez to their bullpen as a left-handed specialist (or LOOGY).
Lopez has held lefties to a .243/.337/.351 mark in 282 career innings, but the same arm angle that makes him so effective versus lefties has led to righties knocking him around to the tune of .297/.380/.437.
He’s a useful enough bullpen addition for the stretch run, but I like the move for the Pirates because Bowker’s minor-league track record suggests he can still be a solid hitter even if he hasn’t shown it in the majors yet. Martinez doesn’t do much for me, but the Pirates should be able to get some decent middle relief or back-of-the-rotation work from him at least.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (152)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)