Jul 31, 2010, 4:12 PM EDT
Not exactly a blockbuster trade, but the Giants have added Javier Lopez to their bullpen as a left-handed specialist (or LOOGY).
Lopez has held lefties to a .243/.337/.351 mark in 282 career innings, but the same arm angle that makes him so effective versus lefties has led to righties knocking him around to the tune of .297/.380/.437.
He’s a useful enough bullpen addition for the stretch run, but I like the move for the Pirates because Bowker’s minor-league track record suggests he can still be a solid hitter even if he hasn’t shown it in the majors yet. Martinez doesn’t do much for me, but the Pirates should be able to get some decent middle relief or back-of-the-rotation work from him at least.
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 3
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 29
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 49
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)