Jul 31, 2010, 4:12 PM EDT
Not exactly a blockbuster trade, but the Giants have added Javier Lopez to their bullpen as a left-handed specialist (or LOOGY).
Lopez has held lefties to a .243/.337/.351 mark in 282 career innings, but the same arm angle that makes him so effective versus lefties has led to righties knocking him around to the tune of .297/.380/.437.
He’s a useful enough bullpen addition for the stretch run, but I like the move for the Pirates because Bowker’s minor-league track record suggests he can still be a solid hitter even if he hasn’t shown it in the majors yet. Martinez doesn’t do much for me, but the Pirates should be able to get some decent middle relief or back-of-the-rotation work from him at least.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (84)