Jul 31, 2010, 10:01 PM EST
Joe Mauer has been on fire since the All-Star break and remained hot tonight, going 3-for-4 in a win over the Mariners, but Phil Mackey of 1500ESPN.com reports that he’s been diagnosed with right shoulder tendinitis and received a cortisone shot after the game.
Mauer is expected to miss at least 1-2 games, leaving Drew Butera and Jose Morales to fill in at catcher. According to manager Ron Gardenhire an MRI exam revealed no structural damage, but because the shoulder soreness “just won’t go away” the Twins decided to “put this [shot] in there, give it a couple days without throwing, and go from there.”
Mauer sat out the final game of the first half with what was at the time called merely shoulder soreness, but then played five innings in the All-Star game and is 24-for-58 (.414) with 12 extra-base hits in 14 games to begin the second half. Not bad for a guy with a bum shoulder.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 54
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 20
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (256)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)