Jul 31, 2010, 10:01 PM EDT
Joe Mauer has been on fire since the All-Star break and remained hot tonight, going 3-for-4 in a win over the Mariners, but Phil Mackey of 1500ESPN.com reports that he’s been diagnosed with right shoulder tendinitis and received a cortisone shot after the game.
Mauer is expected to miss at least 1-2 games, leaving Drew Butera and Jose Morales to fill in at catcher. According to manager Ron Gardenhire an MRI exam revealed no structural damage, but because the shoulder soreness “just won’t go away” the Twins decided to “put this [shot] in there, give it a couple days without throwing, and go from there.”
Mauer sat out the final game of the first half with what was at the time called merely shoulder soreness, but then played five innings in the All-Star game and is 24-for-58 (.414) with 12 extra-base hits in 14 games to begin the second half. Not bad for a guy with a bum shoulder.
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 0
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 31
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 53
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 96
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)