Jul 31, 2010, 10:01 PM EDT
Joe Mauer has been on fire since the All-Star break and remained hot tonight, going 3-for-4 in a win over the Mariners, but Phil Mackey of 1500ESPN.com reports that he’s been diagnosed with right shoulder tendinitis and received a cortisone shot after the game.
Mauer is expected to miss at least 1-2 games, leaving Drew Butera and Jose Morales to fill in at catcher. According to manager Ron Gardenhire an MRI exam revealed no structural damage, but because the shoulder soreness “just won’t go away” the Twins decided to “put this [shot] in there, give it a couple days without throwing, and go from there.”
Mauer sat out the final game of the first half with what was at the time called merely shoulder soreness, but then played five innings in the All-Star game and is 24-for-58 (.414) with 12 extra-base hits in 14 games to begin the second half. Not bad for a guy with a bum shoulder.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (124)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (82)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona