Jul 31, 2010, 10:01 PM EDT
Joe Mauer has been on fire since the All-Star break and remained hot tonight, going 3-for-4 in a win over the Mariners, but Phil Mackey of 1500ESPN.com reports that he’s been diagnosed with right shoulder tendinitis and received a cortisone shot after the game.
Mauer is expected to miss at least 1-2 games, leaving Drew Butera and Jose Morales to fill in at catcher. According to manager Ron Gardenhire an MRI exam revealed no structural damage, but because the shoulder soreness “just won’t go away” the Twins decided to “put this [shot] in there, give it a couple days without throwing, and go from there.”
Mauer sat out the final game of the first half with what was at the time called merely shoulder soreness, but then played five innings in the All-Star game and is 24-for-58 (.414) with 12 extra-base hits in 14 games to begin the second half. Not bad for a guy with a bum shoulder.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)