Jul 31, 2010, 1:05 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Martin Prado was diagnosed with a ”stable avulsion fracture” of his right pinky finger.
The team has yet to make a decision about a possible DL stint, but Prado might only need to miss seven to 10 days. That’s pretty much the best news any Braves fan could have hoped for. Frank Wren probably won’t have to go digging for a second baseman at the last minute.
1:15 AM: It’s probably safe to go to bed now. Mark Bowman of MLB.com reports that X-rays were inconclusive. He’ll be re-evaluated Saturday. That certainly doesn’t make Frank Wren’s job any easier.
12:42 AM: Jubilation quickly turned to anxiety for the Braves on Friday night.
Jason Heyward delivered a go-ahead two-run single in a thrilling 6-4 win over the Reds in 10 innings. The Braves increased their lead to 3 1/2 games over the Phillies in the National League East in doing so, however everyone is holding their breath for All-Star second baseman Martin Prado right now.
Prado injured the pinky finger on his right hand while sliding to score the sixth run of the game. He was taken for X-rays, but according to Mark Bowman of MLB.com and David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the team has yet to release the results. We’ll be sure to let you know once they do.
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)