Jul 31, 2010, 9:48 AM EST
According to Jon Heyman of SI.com the Mets turned down an offer from the Astros for Brett Myers and then had the Cubs turn down their offer for Carlos Zambrano.
New York balked at parting with Bobby Parnell and Josh Thole for Myers, which Heyman suggests shows he’s only available “a steep price.” I don’t really see it that way, because Parnell is a good but not great 25-year-old relief prospect and Thole likely projects as a backup-caliber catcher.
As noted by D.J. earlier this morning Houston may indeed be asking a lot for Myers, but requesting a Parnell/Thole package doesn’t necessarily show that.
The Mets also reportedly offered to swap bad contracts with the Cubs, taking on Zambrano in exchange for sending Oliver Perez and Luis Castillo to Chicago. Heyman says the Cubs balked because they “didn’t want Castillo, too.” As if they could have possibly wanted Perez.
Most likely the Cubs think owing another $36 million to Zambrano is better than owing $12 million to Perez and $6 million to Castillo. Or something.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 150
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (150)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)