Jul 31, 2010, 4:05 PM EDT
UPDATE: Jeff Fletcher of AOL Fanhouse confirms that Dotel has been traded to the Dodgers in exchange for right-hander James McDonald and outfielder Andrew Lambo. Yeesh.
Jayson Stark of ESPN.com adds that the Pirates are throwing in $500,000. That doesn’t make this deal any better.
McDonald posted a 2.72 ERA in 41 relief appearances with the Dodgers last season. He has a live arm, averaging 9.7 K/9 in the minor leagues. Lambo, as mentioned, is currently serving a 50-game suspension for a positive drug test, but was ranked as the organization’s No. 7 prospect by Baseball America coming into the season. The 21-year-old has a .284/.346/.452 batting line over parts of four seasons in the minors and was batting .271/.325/.420 with a 745 OPS before the suspension.
4:01 PM: Liars, I say. Liars.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Dodgers have acquired Octavio Dotel from the Pirates in exchange for James McDonald and another minor leaguer. Rosenthal tweeted “Lamb,” though I’m not sure who that might be. It could be prospect outfielder Andrew Lambo, who is currently serving a 50-game suspension for a positive drug test. If the Pirates get McDonald and Lambo, that’s a horrible deal for the Dodgers.
2:38 PM: A source tells Jayson Stark of ESPN.com that the Pirates aren’t sure they will be able to move Octavio Dotel while Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com writes that they are talking with multiple teams.
According to Stark, the Pirates are apparently telling teams that they are fine with Dotel as their closer for the rest of this season and 2011. That’s complete BS, by the way.
The Pirates also have Joel Hanrahan and Evan Meek in-house, two relievers very capable of inheriting the ninth inning gig, so they have absolutely no reason to exercise Dotel’s $4.5 million club option for next season. I’d think most teams should be able to see through that one.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 55
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)