Jul 31, 2010, 4:05 PM EST
UPDATE: Jeff Fletcher of AOL Fanhouse confirms that Dotel has been traded to the Dodgers in exchange for right-hander James McDonald and outfielder Andrew Lambo. Yeesh.
Jayson Stark of ESPN.com adds that the Pirates are throwing in $500,000. That doesn’t make this deal any better.
McDonald posted a 2.72 ERA in 41 relief appearances with the Dodgers last season. He has a live arm, averaging 9.7 K/9 in the minor leagues. Lambo, as mentioned, is currently serving a 50-game suspension for a positive drug test, but was ranked as the organization’s No. 7 prospect by Baseball America coming into the season. The 21-year-old has a .284/.346/.452 batting line over parts of four seasons in the minors and was batting .271/.325/.420 with a 745 OPS before the suspension.
4:01 PM: Liars, I say. Liars.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Dodgers have acquired Octavio Dotel from the Pirates in exchange for James McDonald and another minor leaguer. Rosenthal tweeted “Lamb,” though I’m not sure who that might be. It could be prospect outfielder Andrew Lambo, who is currently serving a 50-game suspension for a positive drug test. If the Pirates get McDonald and Lambo, that’s a horrible deal for the Dodgers.
2:38 PM: A source tells Jayson Stark of ESPN.com that the Pirates aren’t sure they will be able to move Octavio Dotel while Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com writes that they are talking with multiple teams.
According to Stark, the Pirates are apparently telling teams that they are fine with Dotel as their closer for the rest of this season and 2011. That’s complete BS, by the way.
The Pirates also have Joel Hanrahan and Evan Meek in-house, two relievers very capable of inheriting the ninth inning gig, so they have absolutely no reason to exercise Dotel’s $4.5 million club option for next season. I’d think most teams should be able to see through that one.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)