Jul 31, 2010, 4:05 PM EDT
UPDATE: Jeff Fletcher of AOL Fanhouse confirms that Dotel has been traded to the Dodgers in exchange for right-hander James McDonald and outfielder Andrew Lambo. Yeesh.
Jayson Stark of ESPN.com adds that the Pirates are throwing in $500,000. That doesn’t make this deal any better.
McDonald posted a 2.72 ERA in 41 relief appearances with the Dodgers last season. He has a live arm, averaging 9.7 K/9 in the minor leagues. Lambo, as mentioned, is currently serving a 50-game suspension for a positive drug test, but was ranked as the organization’s No. 7 prospect by Baseball America coming into the season. The 21-year-old has a .284/.346/.452 batting line over parts of four seasons in the minors and was batting .271/.325/.420 with a 745 OPS before the suspension.
4:01 PM: Liars, I say. Liars.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Dodgers have acquired Octavio Dotel from the Pirates in exchange for James McDonald and another minor leaguer. Rosenthal tweeted “Lamb,” though I’m not sure who that might be. It could be prospect outfielder Andrew Lambo, who is currently serving a 50-game suspension for a positive drug test. If the Pirates get McDonald and Lambo, that’s a horrible deal for the Dodgers.
2:38 PM: A source tells Jayson Stark of ESPN.com that the Pirates aren’t sure they will be able to move Octavio Dotel while Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com writes that they are talking with multiple teams.
According to Stark, the Pirates are apparently telling teams that they are fine with Dotel as their closer for the rest of this season and 2011. That’s complete BS, by the way.
The Pirates also have Joel Hanrahan and Evan Meek in-house, two relievers very capable of inheriting the ninth inning gig, so they have absolutely no reason to exercise Dotel’s $4.5 million club option for next season. I’d think most teams should be able to see through that one.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 77
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 73
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (77)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (73)