Jul 31, 2010, 4:05 PM EDT
UPDATE: Jeff Fletcher of AOL Fanhouse confirms that Dotel has been traded to the Dodgers in exchange for right-hander James McDonald and outfielder Andrew Lambo. Yeesh.
Jayson Stark of ESPN.com adds that the Pirates are throwing in $500,000. That doesn’t make this deal any better.
McDonald posted a 2.72 ERA in 41 relief appearances with the Dodgers last season. He has a live arm, averaging 9.7 K/9 in the minor leagues. Lambo, as mentioned, is currently serving a 50-game suspension for a positive drug test, but was ranked as the organization’s No. 7 prospect by Baseball America coming into the season. The 21-year-old has a .284/.346/.452 batting line over parts of four seasons in the minors and was batting .271/.325/.420 with a 745 OPS before the suspension.
4:01 PM: Liars, I say. Liars.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Dodgers have acquired Octavio Dotel from the Pirates in exchange for James McDonald and another minor leaguer. Rosenthal tweeted “Lamb,” though I’m not sure who that might be. It could be prospect outfielder Andrew Lambo, who is currently serving a 50-game suspension for a positive drug test. If the Pirates get McDonald and Lambo, that’s a horrible deal for the Dodgers.
2:38 PM: A source tells Jayson Stark of ESPN.com that the Pirates aren’t sure they will be able to move Octavio Dotel while Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com writes that they are talking with multiple teams.
According to Stark, the Pirates are apparently telling teams that they are fine with Dotel as their closer for the rest of this season and 2011. That’s complete BS, by the way.
The Pirates also have Joel Hanrahan and Evan Meek in-house, two relievers very capable of inheriting the ninth inning gig, so they have absolutely no reason to exercise Dotel’s $4.5 million club option for next season. I’d think most teams should be able to see through that one.
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 49
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 10
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 20
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15