Jul 31, 2010, 4:05 PM EDT
UPDATE: Jeff Fletcher of AOL Fanhouse confirms that Dotel has been traded to the Dodgers in exchange for right-hander James McDonald and outfielder Andrew Lambo. Yeesh.
Jayson Stark of ESPN.com adds that the Pirates are throwing in $500,000. That doesn’t make this deal any better.
McDonald posted a 2.72 ERA in 41 relief appearances with the Dodgers last season. He has a live arm, averaging 9.7 K/9 in the minor leagues. Lambo, as mentioned, is currently serving a 50-game suspension for a positive drug test, but was ranked as the organization’s No. 7 prospect by Baseball America coming into the season. The 21-year-old has a .284/.346/.452 batting line over parts of four seasons in the minors and was batting .271/.325/.420 with a 745 OPS before the suspension.
4:01 PM: Liars, I say. Liars.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Dodgers have acquired Octavio Dotel from the Pirates in exchange for James McDonald and another minor leaguer. Rosenthal tweeted “Lamb,” though I’m not sure who that might be. It could be prospect outfielder Andrew Lambo, who is currently serving a 50-game suspension for a positive drug test. If the Pirates get McDonald and Lambo, that’s a horrible deal for the Dodgers.
2:38 PM: A source tells Jayson Stark of ESPN.com that the Pirates aren’t sure they will be able to move Octavio Dotel while Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com writes that they are talking with multiple teams.
According to Stark, the Pirates are apparently telling teams that they are fine with Dotel as their closer for the rest of this season and 2011. That’s complete BS, by the way.
The Pirates also have Joel Hanrahan and Evan Meek in-house, two relievers very capable of inheriting the ninth inning gig, so they have absolutely no reason to exercise Dotel’s $4.5 million club option for next season. I’d think most teams should be able to see through that one.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 2
- Orioles finally lose a game when leading after seven 6
- Joey Votto reaches base six times as Reds rout Phillies 11
- Troy Tulowitzki says he wasn’t accusing Madison Bumgarner of cheating 6
- Quote of the Day: Brian Cashman is keeping Ben Francisco around to “piss everybody off” 29
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3