Jul 31, 2010, 7:48 PM EST
As noted by this MLB.com press release, the Rangers activated starter Rich Harden from the disabled list on Saturday afternoon. In fact, he is on the bump for a Saturday evening matchup with the Angels and their new right-hander, Dan Haren.
Harden hit the 15-day disabled list in early June with a strained glute and an ugly 5.68 ERA and 1.68 WHIP over his first 13 starts. The Rangers will hope that the extended time off and a subsequent minor league rehab assignment have helped him right the ship. He struck out 10 batters over six scoreless innings on Monday in his final rehab outing with Triple-A Oklahoma City and threw 67 of his 96 pitches for strikes. If he pitches like that now that he’s back in the majors, Harden will be just fine.
The Rangers are eight games ahead of the Angels in the American League West and appear to be headed for the playoffs for the first time since 1999. If Harden wants to be included in the club’s October rotation, he will need to string together some quality outings down the stretch. He’s plenty capable of that, but he’s yet to actually do it this season for Texas.
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 18
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 59
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)