Jul 31, 2010, 7:48 PM EDT
As noted by this MLB.com press release, the Rangers activated starter Rich Harden from the disabled list on Saturday afternoon. In fact, he is on the bump for a Saturday evening matchup with the Angels and their new right-hander, Dan Haren.
Harden hit the 15-day disabled list in early June with a strained glute and an ugly 5.68 ERA and 1.68 WHIP over his first 13 starts. The Rangers will hope that the extended time off and a subsequent minor league rehab assignment have helped him right the ship. He struck out 10 batters over six scoreless innings on Monday in his final rehab outing with Triple-A Oklahoma City and threw 67 of his 96 pitches for strikes. If he pitches like that now that he’s back in the majors, Harden will be just fine.
The Rangers are eight games ahead of the Angels in the American League West and appear to be headed for the playoffs for the first time since 1999. If Harden wants to be included in the club’s October rotation, he will need to string together some quality outings down the stretch. He’s plenty capable of that, but he’s yet to actually do it this season for Texas.
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 0
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 10
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (105)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)