Jul 31, 2010, 3:01 PM EDT
UPDATE: Maybe not. Jayson Stark of ESPN.com hears the Rays are unlikely to make another deal today. Don’t worry, this madness will be over in an hour or so.
2:24 PM: The Rays already picked up Chad Qualls from the Diamondbacks today, but with Grant Balfour expected to miss 4-6 weeks with a strained intercostal/rib muscle, they are still sniffing around for bullpen help.
According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, the Rays have interest in Scott Downs of the Blue Jays and Brandon League of the Mariners.
League has a 3.40 ERA and 1.19 WHIP over 47 appearances with the Mariners this season. The 27-year-old right-hander is under team control until 2013, so there isn’t much urgency for Trader Jack to swap him. He’d be costly.
Downs has a 2.34 ERA and 1.02 WHIP in 47 appearances with the Jays this season. He projects to be a Type A free agent, so the Blue Jays probably be just fine with keeping him and taking the draft picks if they don’t receive a substantial offer.
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 0
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 29
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 96
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 18
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)