Jul 31, 2010, 3:01 PM EDT
UPDATE: Maybe not. Jayson Stark of ESPN.com hears the Rays are unlikely to make another deal today. Don’t worry, this madness will be over in an hour or so.
2:24 PM: The Rays already picked up Chad Qualls from the Diamondbacks today, but with Grant Balfour expected to miss 4-6 weeks with a strained intercostal/rib muscle, they are still sniffing around for bullpen help.
According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, the Rays have interest in Scott Downs of the Blue Jays and Brandon League of the Mariners.
League has a 3.40 ERA and 1.19 WHIP over 47 appearances with the Mariners this season. The 27-year-old right-hander is under team control until 2013, so there isn’t much urgency for Trader Jack to swap him. He’d be costly.
Downs has a 2.34 ERA and 1.02 WHIP in 47 appearances with the Jays this season. He projects to be a Type A free agent, so the Blue Jays probably be just fine with keeping him and taking the draft picks if they don’t receive a substantial offer.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 20
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 36
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)