Jul 31, 2010, 1:23 PM EDT
In news that helps explain the Rays’ acquisition of Chad Qualls this morning, Grant Balfour is expected to miss 4-6 weeks with a strained intercostal/rib muscle.
Balfour was brilliant for the Rays in 2008, struggled for much of last season, and has been dominant again this year with a 2.08 ERA, .218 opponents’ batting average, and 44/13 K/BB ratio in 43.1 innings.
Qualls’ secondary numbers suggest he’s a very good bet to pitch significantly better than his hideous performance in Arizona, but he’s still a big downgrade as a replacement for Balfour.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)