Jul 31, 2010, 1:23 PM EDT
In news that helps explain the Rays’ acquisition of Chad Qualls this morning, Grant Balfour is expected to miss 4-6 weeks with a strained intercostal/rib muscle.
Balfour was brilliant for the Rays in 2008, struggled for much of last season, and has been dominant again this year with a 2.08 ERA, .218 opponents’ batting average, and 44/13 K/BB ratio in 43.1 innings.
Qualls’ secondary numbers suggest he’s a very good bet to pitch significantly better than his hideous performance in Arizona, but he’s still a big downgrade as a replacement for Balfour.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 8
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 36
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)