Jul 31, 2010, 5:08 PM EDT
Moments before this afternoon’s trade deadline the Red Sox made a move to get former top catching prospect Jarrod Saltalamacchia, which is interesting considering Victor Martinez and Jason Varitek are both impending free agents.
Given his recent health problems and uncertain future behind the plate acquiring Saltalamacchia shouldn’t be seen as a long-term answer at catcher, but he’s still just 25 years old and if nothing else makes for an intriguing flier.
In return for Saltamacchia the Rangers get prospects Chris McGuiness and Roman Mendez plus a player to be named later or cash. McGuiness is a first baseman and 13th-round pick in last year’s draft who has hit pretty well so far at Single-A, while Mendez is a 19-year-old reliever from the Dominican Republic with a big-time fastball.
Saltalamacchia’s stock has dropped considerably over the past two years as he struggled to stay on the field and failed to show much offensively when he was in the lineup, but if the Red Sox can get him back on track physically (and mentally) the switch-hitter could still be a long-term fit somewhere. For now, he’ll play at Triple-A.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 45
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 11
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 40
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 47
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)