Jul 31, 2010, 5:08 PM EDT
Moments before this afternoon’s trade deadline the Red Sox made a move to get former top catching prospect Jarrod Saltalamacchia, which is interesting considering Victor Martinez and Jason Varitek are both impending free agents.
Given his recent health problems and uncertain future behind the plate acquiring Saltalamacchia shouldn’t be seen as a long-term answer at catcher, but he’s still just 25 years old and if nothing else makes for an intriguing flier.
In return for Saltamacchia the Rangers get prospects Chris McGuiness and Roman Mendez plus a player to be named later or cash. McGuiness is a first baseman and 13th-round pick in last year’s draft who has hit pretty well so far at Single-A, while Mendez is a 19-year-old reliever from the Dominican Republic with a big-time fastball.
Saltalamacchia’s stock has dropped considerably over the past two years as he struggled to stay on the field and failed to show much offensively when he was in the lineup, but if the Red Sox can get him back on track physically (and mentally) the switch-hitter could still be a long-term fit somewhere. For now, he’ll play at Triple-A.
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 1
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 19
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 346
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 81
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 53
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (346)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (180)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)