Jul 31, 2010, 5:08 PM EST
Moments before this afternoon’s trade deadline the Red Sox made a move to get former top catching prospect Jarrod Saltalamacchia, which is interesting considering Victor Martinez and Jason Varitek are both impending free agents.
Given his recent health problems and uncertain future behind the plate acquiring Saltalamacchia shouldn’t be seen as a long-term answer at catcher, but he’s still just 25 years old and if nothing else makes for an intriguing flier.
In return for Saltamacchia the Rangers get prospects Chris McGuiness and Roman Mendez plus a player to be named later or cash. McGuiness is a first baseman and 13th-round pick in last year’s draft who has hit pretty well so far at Single-A, while Mendez is a 19-year-old reliever from the Dominican Republic with a big-time fastball.
Saltalamacchia’s stock has dropped considerably over the past two years as he struggled to stay on the field and failed to show much offensively when he was in the lineup, but if the Red Sox can get him back on track physically (and mentally) the switch-hitter could still be a long-term fit somewhere. For now, he’ll play at Triple-A.
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 1
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 1
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 341
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (341)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Report: Josh Hamilton could get a suspension of “at least 25 games” (71)