Jul 31, 2010, 3:22 PM EDT
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com the Red Sox “will not trade Mike Lowell” before this afternoon’s deadline.
Boston hasn’t even activated Lowell from the disabled list yet despite his being ready to return following an impressive five-game rehab assignment at Triple-A, keeping him in roster limbo while they work on other deals.
However, because his remaining salary makes him unlikely to be claimed off waivers this afternoon’s deadline doesn’t really apply to Lowell. Instead, the Red Sox can work from now until August 31 to find a fit for him. Assuming there’s one to be found at any point, of course.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)