Jul 31, 2010, 3:22 PM EDT
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com the Red Sox “will not trade Mike Lowell” before this afternoon’s deadline.
Boston hasn’t even activated Lowell from the disabled list yet despite his being ready to return following an impressive five-game rehab assignment at Triple-A, keeping him in roster limbo while they work on other deals.
However, because his remaining salary makes him unlikely to be claimed off waivers this afternoon’s deadline doesn’t really apply to Lowell. Instead, the Red Sox can work from now until August 31 to find a fit for him. Assuming there’s one to be found at any point, of course.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 43
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 74
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 18
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (98)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)