Jul 31, 2010, 4:31 PM EDT
According to Alex Speier of WEEI.com the Red Sox have traded right-handed reliever Ramon Ramirez to the Giants, who also added left-hander Javier Lopez to the bullpen moments earlier.
No word yet on what the Red Sox will receive in return, but they were said to be discussing Ramirez-for-Rod Barajas with the Mets before Barajas was placed on the disabled list.
Ramirez went 7-4 with a 2.84 ERA in 70 innings for the Red Sox last season after they picked him up from the Royals for Coco Crisp, but hasn’t been nearly as effective this year with a 4.43 ERA and 31/16 K/BB ratio in 42 innings.
Moving to the NL should help and Ramirez is certainly capable of being a decent second-tier setup man for the Giants.
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 0
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 9
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 9
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 29
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (188)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)