Jul 31, 2010, 4:31 PM EDT
According to Alex Speier of WEEI.com the Red Sox have traded right-handed reliever Ramon Ramirez to the Giants, who also added left-hander Javier Lopez to the bullpen moments earlier.
No word yet on what the Red Sox will receive in return, but they were said to be discussing Ramirez-for-Rod Barajas with the Mets before Barajas was placed on the disabled list.
Ramirez went 7-4 with a 2.84 ERA in 70 innings for the Red Sox last season after they picked him up from the Royals for Coco Crisp, but hasn’t been nearly as effective this year with a 4.43 ERA and 31/16 K/BB ratio in 42 innings.
Moving to the NL should help and Ramirez is certainly capable of being a decent second-tier setup man for the Giants.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)