Jul 31, 2010, 4:31 PM EDT
According to Alex Speier of WEEI.com the Red Sox have traded right-handed reliever Ramon Ramirez to the Giants, who also added left-hander Javier Lopez to the bullpen moments earlier.
No word yet on what the Red Sox will receive in return, but they were said to be discussing Ramirez-for-Rod Barajas with the Mets before Barajas was placed on the disabled list.
Ramirez went 7-4 with a 2.84 ERA in 70 innings for the Red Sox last season after they picked him up from the Royals for Coco Crisp, but hasn’t been nearly as effective this year with a 4.43 ERA and 31/16 K/BB ratio in 42 innings.
Moving to the NL should help and Ramirez is certainly capable of being a decent second-tier setup man for the Giants.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (74)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (70)
- Barry Bonds is back in uniform (68)