Jul 31, 2010, 4:31 PM EDT
According to Alex Speier of WEEI.com the Red Sox have traded right-handed reliever Ramon Ramirez to the Giants, who also added left-hander Javier Lopez to the bullpen moments earlier.
No word yet on what the Red Sox will receive in return, but they were said to be discussing Ramirez-for-Rod Barajas with the Mets before Barajas was placed on the disabled list.
Ramirez went 7-4 with a 2.84 ERA in 70 innings for the Red Sox last season after they picked him up from the Royals for Coco Crisp, but hasn’t been nearly as effective this year with a 4.43 ERA and 31/16 K/BB ratio in 42 innings.
Moving to the NL should help and Ramirez is certainly capable of being a decent second-tier setup man for the Giants.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 45
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)