Jul 31, 2010, 4:31 PM EST
According to Alex Speier of WEEI.com the Red Sox have traded right-handed reliever Ramon Ramirez to the Giants, who also added left-hander Javier Lopez to the bullpen moments earlier.
No word yet on what the Red Sox will receive in return, but they were said to be discussing Ramirez-for-Rod Barajas with the Mets before Barajas was placed on the disabled list.
Ramirez went 7-4 with a 2.84 ERA in 70 innings for the Red Sox last season after they picked him up from the Royals for Coco Crisp, but hasn’t been nearly as effective this year with a 4.43 ERA and 31/16 K/BB ratio in 42 innings.
Moving to the NL should help and Ramirez is certainly capable of being a decent second-tier setup man for the Giants.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (168)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)