Jul 31, 2010, 4:14 PM EDT
Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles have traded Will Ohman to the Marlins. Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that the Orioles will receive right-hander Rick Vandenhurk in return.
Ohman, 32, has a 3.30 ERA and 1.60 WHIP over 51 appearances with the Orioles this season. He has held left-handers to a .226 batting average and a 631 OPS. We’ve heard reports of the Giants and other contenders looking into Ohman, so to see him go to the Marlins is a little surprising. That being said, they have won 10 out of their last 14 games and are just as close to the playoffs as the Mets.
Vandenhurk, 25, has spent most of the season with Triple-A New Orleans, posting a 4.68 ERA over 19 starts. He has a 5.96 ERA over 35 major league appearances (32 starts).
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 3
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 39
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 23
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)