Jul 31, 2010, 4:14 PM EDT
Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles have traded Will Ohman to the Marlins. Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that the Orioles will receive right-hander Rick Vandenhurk in return.
Ohman, 32, has a 3.30 ERA and 1.60 WHIP over 51 appearances with the Orioles this season. He has held left-handers to a .226 batting average and a 631 OPS. We’ve heard reports of the Giants and other contenders looking into Ohman, so to see him go to the Marlins is a little surprising. That being said, they have won 10 out of their last 14 games and are just as close to the playoffs as the Mets.
Vandenhurk, 25, has spent most of the season with Triple-A New Orleans, posting a 4.68 ERA over 19 starts. He has a 5.96 ERA over 35 major league appearances (32 starts).
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 21
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 20
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 23
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)