Jul 31, 2010, 2:05 PM EDT
UPDATE: While Dylan Hernandez reports the Angels are in it, Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports disagrees, saying they are not the third “mystery team.” I just don’t see this one happening, anyway. Makes for exciting trade deadline fodder, but I think he’s more of an August possibility.
12:38 PM: Mystery team identified? Maybe. A source tells Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times that the Angels are also in the mix for Manny Ramirez.
12:25 PM: According to Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports, three teams have
called the Dodgers about Ramirez: the White Sox, the Rays and a
“mystery team.” Woo-hoo. Here’s our first mystery team of the afternoon!
The Dodgers aren’t shopping Ramirez, according to Brown, but they are taking phone calls. Ramirez is reportedly open to a possible trade.
12:20 PM: This might not be over. Calling it a “halfcourt shot,” a source tells Ken Rosenthal that the Ken Williams and the White Sox intend to make one more run at Manny before today’s deadline.
11:45 AM: Ken Rosenthal says the White Sox wanted the Dodgers to pay all but $1 million of the approximately $6.7 million left on Ramirez’s contract with no player in return. Pretty easy to see why that didn’t happen.
11:26 AM: Sources tell Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com that the White Sox asked the Dodgers about the availability of Manny Ramirez, however they were rejected.
“Not happening,” said a source with knowledge of the discussions.
Just yesterday, Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times wrote that White Sox GM Ken Williams “had something big cooking” and even speculated about Manny during a radio appearance, so it appears he wasn’t far off.
Ramirez is currently on the disabled list for the second time due to a calf injury and the third time overall this season. According to Rosenthal and Morosi, the 38-year-old outfielder could be a trade candidate in August.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 17
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 8
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 33
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 21
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)