The Yankees land Kerry Wood

Jul 31, 2010, 3:28 PM EDT

The Yankees traded for Indians’ closer Kerry Wood.  They gave up a player to be named later (right now I think half the Indians’ roster consists of players to be named later) and — get this — the Indians kicked cash into the deal. How on Earth the Yankees are convincing teams like the Indians and
Astros to send them cash is beyond me. Maybe Cashman is using one of these.

Given how erratic (i.e. terrible) and unhealthy Wood has been this year, this is not much of a vote of confidence for Joba Chamberlain.  It remains to be seen of he or Wood would get eighth inning duties.  Maybe Girardi should just go with a hot hand, however. Now that I think about it, maybe the Yankees should be avoiding Kerry Wood altogether, because I really don’t see the point of such a deal.

In other news: the Yankees’ talk about being rather quiet at the trade deadline from last week was pretty obviously b.s.

1. Md23Rewls - Jul 31, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Robertson is a better eighth inning option than Chamberlain or Wood. Kerry Wood isn’t good.

2. SouthofHeaven - Jul 31, 2010 at 4:20 PM

HYPNOTOOOOOOOOOAD

3. Ultimate Yankee Fan - Jul 31, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Wood is certainly better then Park & Gaudin in a pinch. Like the article said it didn’t cost them much so where is the harm.

4. YankeesfanLen - Jul 31, 2010 at 5:41 PM

As you indicate, we now have a hypnotoad and a FAT TOAD

5. 2cents - Jul 31, 2010 at 5:57 PM

I mentioned eariler in a different post that with the new trird baseman it frees up A-Rod to DH rotation and they’d find a reliver and don’t need Dunn. Seems like they did all that and made/saved money regardless of Wood bringing the questionable goodies…not a bad move all in all I think. Of course…then again I still have my “Ross Perot for President” button…so what do I know?

6. moleman - Jul 31, 2010 at 6:47 PM