Jul 31, 2010, 3:28 PM EDT
The Yankees traded for Indians’ closer Kerry Wood. They gave up a player to be named later (right now I think half the Indians’ roster consists of players to be named later) and — get this — the Indians kicked cash into the deal. How on Earth the Yankees are convincing teams like the Indians and
Astros to send them cash is beyond me. Maybe Cashman is using one of these.
Given how erratic (i.e. terrible) and unhealthy Wood has been this year, this is not much of a vote of confidence for Joba Chamberlain. It remains to be seen of he or Wood would get eighth inning duties. Maybe Girardi should just go with a hot hand, however. Now that I think about it, maybe the Yankees should be avoiding Kerry Wood altogether, because I really don’t see the point of such a deal.
In other news: the Yankees’ talk about being rather quiet at the trade deadline from last week was pretty obviously b.s.
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 27
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 19
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 34
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)