Jul 31, 2010, 3:28 PM EST
The Yankees traded for Indians’ closer Kerry Wood. They gave up a player to be named later (right now I think half the Indians’ roster consists of players to be named later) and — get this — the Indians kicked cash into the deal. How on Earth the Yankees are convincing teams like the Indians and
Astros to send them cash is beyond me. Maybe Cashman is using one of these.
Given how erratic (i.e. terrible) and unhealthy Wood has been this year, this is not much of a vote of confidence for Joba Chamberlain. It remains to be seen of he or Wood would get eighth inning duties. Maybe Girardi should just go with a hot hand, however. Now that I think about it, maybe the Yankees should be avoiding Kerry Wood altogether, because I really don’t see the point of such a deal.
In other news: the Yankees’ talk about being rather quiet at the trade deadline from last week was pretty obviously b.s.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)