Jul 31, 2010, 3:28 PM EDT
The Yankees traded for Indians’ closer Kerry Wood. They gave up a player to be named later (right now I think half the Indians’ roster consists of players to be named later) and — get this — the Indians kicked cash into the deal. How on Earth the Yankees are convincing teams like the Indians and
Astros to send them cash is beyond me. Maybe Cashman is using one of these.
Given how erratic (i.e. terrible) and unhealthy Wood has been this year, this is not much of a vote of confidence for Joba Chamberlain. It remains to be seen of he or Wood would get eighth inning duties. Maybe Girardi should just go with a hot hand, however. Now that I think about it, maybe the Yankees should be avoiding Kerry Wood altogether, because I really don’t see the point of such a deal.
In other news: the Yankees’ talk about being rather quiet at the trade deadline from last week was pretty obviously b.s.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)