Jul 31, 2010, 3:28 PM EDT
The Yankees traded for Indians’ closer Kerry Wood. They gave up a player to be named later (right now I think half the Indians’ roster consists of players to be named later) and — get this — the Indians kicked cash into the deal. How on Earth the Yankees are convincing teams like the Indians and
Astros to send them cash is beyond me. Maybe Cashman is using one of these.
Given how erratic (i.e. terrible) and unhealthy Wood has been this year, this is not much of a vote of confidence for Joba Chamberlain. It remains to be seen of he or Wood would get eighth inning duties. Maybe Girardi should just go with a hot hand, however. Now that I think about it, maybe the Yankees should be avoiding Kerry Wood altogether, because I really don’t see the point of such a deal.
In other news: the Yankees’ talk about being rather quiet at the trade deadline from last week was pretty obviously b.s.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (127)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (99)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)