Jul 31, 2010, 3:28 PM EDT
The Yankees traded for Indians’ closer Kerry Wood. They gave up a player to be named later (right now I think half the Indians’ roster consists of players to be named later) and — get this — the Indians kicked cash into the deal. How on Earth the Yankees are convincing teams like the Indians and
Astros to send them cash is beyond me. Maybe Cashman is using one of these.
Given how erratic (i.e. terrible) and unhealthy Wood has been this year, this is not much of a vote of confidence for Joba Chamberlain. It remains to be seen of he or Wood would get eighth inning duties. Maybe Girardi should just go with a hot hand, however. Now that I think about it, maybe the Yankees should be avoiding Kerry Wood altogether, because I really don’t see the point of such a deal.
In other news: the Yankees’ talk about being rather quiet at the trade deadline from last week was pretty obviously b.s.
- Dustin Pedroia returns to Red Sox starting lineup 2
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 95
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 11
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 230
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (230)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (105)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)