Jul 31, 2010, 12:50 PM EDT
Arizona’s housecleaning now seems likely to include Kelly Johnson, as FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Giants are “in talks” with the Diamondbacks for the second baseman.
According to Morosi the Giants also view Johnson as a potential outfield option because he has some experience in left field as well as second base.
Most of all they want him for his left-handed bat, as Johnson has hit .277/.365/.500 in a bounceback season after signing a one-year, $2.35 million deal this winter.
He’d also be under team control as an arbitration-eligible player in 2011, so Johnson would be more than a two-month rental.
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 4
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 21
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 18
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)