Jul 31, 2010, 12:50 PM EDT
Arizona’s housecleaning now seems likely to include Kelly Johnson, as FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Giants are “in talks” with the Diamondbacks for the second baseman.
According to Morosi the Giants also view Johnson as a potential outfield option because he has some experience in left field as well as second base.
Most of all they want him for his left-handed bat, as Johnson has hit .277/.365/.500 in a bounceback season after signing a one-year, $2.35 million deal this winter.
He’d also be under team control as an arbitration-eligible player in 2011, so Johnson would be more than a two-month rental.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 41
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 50
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 72
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 93
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)