Jul 31, 2010, 3:42 PM EDT
And that’s all we know.
FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi says San Francisco, Toronto and Arizona have discussed a three-way deal, but he has no additional details for us.
It’s well known that the Giants have interest in both Jose Bautista and Scott Downs from Toronto. But I’m struggling to see how the Diamondbacks fit in here unless the the Blue Jays really like Chris Young and are ready to move Vernon Wells to a corner.
SF gets Downs, Kelly Johnson
Ari gets Jonathan Sanchez, prospect from Giants
Tor gets Chris Young
That’s just idle speculation, though. A Bautista-to-San Francisco deal seems quite unlikely. Downs makes a lot more sense, and the Giants would probably be more willing to part with Sanchez if it nets them two pieces.
Alternatively, the Jays could want Johnson for themselves, though not to play second base over Aaron Hill. If it’s Johnson to Toronto and Downs to San Francisco, then it’s doubtful the Diamondbacks would end up with Sanchez.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 17
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 29
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 58
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 73
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 86
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)