Jul 31, 2010, 2:18 PM EDT
The Ludwick trade left a team that was already one bat light two bats light, but Joe Strauss of the Post-Dispatch is saying that Cardinals’ executives he’s talking to haven’t ruled out adding another bat today.
I’m not sure how to feel about the “won’t rule out” stories we’ve seen so much of lately. It seems like an easy punt phrase for front office people. By deploying it, they can easily do nothing and say that they tried even if they didn’t. Watch this: I’m not ruling out losing 20 pounds. I’m not ruling out a series of sultry rendezvous with Hollywood starlets. I’m not ruling out winning “Last Comic Standing” next year.
If I don’t do those things it’s because I was a victim of circumstance. Not that I didn’t try!
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)