Jul 31, 2010, 2:18 PM EDT
The Ludwick trade left a team that was already one bat light two bats light, but Joe Strauss of the Post-Dispatch is saying that Cardinals’ executives he’s talking to haven’t ruled out adding another bat today.
I’m not sure how to feel about the “won’t rule out” stories we’ve seen so much of lately. It seems like an easy punt phrase for front office people. By deploying it, they can easily do nothing and say that they tried even if they didn’t. Watch this: I’m not ruling out losing 20 pounds. I’m not ruling out a series of sultry rendezvous with Hollywood starlets. I’m not ruling out winning “Last Comic Standing” next year.
If I don’t do those things it’s because I was a victim of circumstance. Not that I didn’t try!
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (353)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (194)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)