Jul 31, 2010, 10:54 AM EST
UPDATE: The deal is done. The Pirates will receive catcher Chris Snyder and prospect shortstop Pedro Ciriaco from the Diamondbacks for infielder Bobby Crosby, outfielder Ryan Church and right-hander D.J. Carrasco. The D-Backs are sending $3 million to the Pirates, according to Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com.
10:44 AM: According to Steve Gilbert of MLB.com, the Diamondbacks will acquire Bobby Crosby, Ryan Church and D.J. Carrasco from the Pirates in exchange for catcher Chris Snyder.
In other words, the D-Backs are taking some unwanted players from the Pirates for a little bit of salary relief. Carrasco is the only one of any real value here. Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette speculated that the team was about to cut bait on Crosby and Church, anyway.
A source tells Langosch that the Pirates have summoned infielder Argenis Diaz and first baseman Jeff Clement from Triple-A Indianapolis, so it’s assumed that two position player spots are about to open.
Langosch speculates that the Pirates may have decided to trade Garrett Jones. The 28-year-old outfielder-first baseman is batting .277/.339/.448 with 14 homers and 61 RBI this season. He’s a lefty bat that could add some versatility to a contender’s bench, but the team has given no indication that they are actively shopping him.
There’s always the chance that the Pirates could be trading players to the Diamondbacks off the active roster in exchange for Snyder, but Langosch writes that the Pirates “weren’t necessarily expected to be dealing position players.” Stay tuned.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)