Jul 31, 2010, 10:54 AM EDT
UPDATE: The deal is done. The Pirates will receive catcher Chris Snyder and prospect shortstop Pedro Ciriaco from the Diamondbacks for infielder Bobby Crosby, outfielder Ryan Church and right-hander D.J. Carrasco. The D-Backs are sending $3 million to the Pirates, according to Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com.
10:44 AM: According to Steve Gilbert of MLB.com, the Diamondbacks will acquire Bobby Crosby, Ryan Church and D.J. Carrasco from the Pirates in exchange for catcher Chris Snyder.
In other words, the D-Backs are taking some unwanted players from the Pirates for a little bit of salary relief. Carrasco is the only one of any real value here. Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette speculated that the team was about to cut bait on Crosby and Church, anyway.
A source tells Langosch that the Pirates have summoned infielder Argenis Diaz and first baseman Jeff Clement from Triple-A Indianapolis, so it’s assumed that two position player spots are about to open.
Langosch speculates that the Pirates may have decided to trade Garrett Jones. The 28-year-old outfielder-first baseman is batting .277/.339/.448 with 14 homers and 61 RBI this season. He’s a lefty bat that could add some versatility to a contender’s bench, but the team has given no indication that they are actively shopping him.
There’s always the chance that the Pirates could be trading players to the Diamondbacks off the active roster in exchange for Snyder, but Langosch writes that the Pirates “weren’t necessarily expected to be dealing position players.” Stay tuned.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 0
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 3
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 11
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 49
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 30
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)