Jul 31, 2010, 10:54 AM EDT
UPDATE: The deal is done. The Pirates will receive catcher Chris Snyder and prospect shortstop Pedro Ciriaco from the Diamondbacks for infielder Bobby Crosby, outfielder Ryan Church and right-hander D.J. Carrasco. The D-Backs are sending $3 million to the Pirates, according to Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com.
10:44 AM: According to Steve Gilbert of MLB.com, the Diamondbacks will acquire Bobby Crosby, Ryan Church and D.J. Carrasco from the Pirates in exchange for catcher Chris Snyder.
In other words, the D-Backs are taking some unwanted players from the Pirates for a little bit of salary relief. Carrasco is the only one of any real value here. Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette speculated that the team was about to cut bait on Crosby and Church, anyway.
A source tells Langosch that the Pirates have summoned infielder Argenis Diaz and first baseman Jeff Clement from Triple-A Indianapolis, so it’s assumed that two position player spots are about to open.
Langosch speculates that the Pirates may have decided to trade Garrett Jones. The 28-year-old outfielder-first baseman is batting .277/.339/.448 with 14 homers and 61 RBI this season. He’s a lefty bat that could add some versatility to a contender’s bench, but the team has given no indication that they are actively shopping him.
There’s always the chance that the Pirates could be trading players to the Diamondbacks off the active roster in exchange for Snyder, but Langosch writes that the Pirates “weren’t necessarily expected to be dealing position players.” Stay tuned.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)