Jul 31, 2010, 7:16 AM EDT
The Diamondbacks are on the verge of sending reliever Chad Qualls to the Rays in exchange for a player to be named later. Chad Qualls is 1-4 with an 8.51 ERA and has a salary of over $4 million this year. Word is that the Rays are picking up all that’s left of the salary.
Qualls has been horrendous this year, but his numbers have improved somewhat in the last month. As Aaron noted back in June, there is no reason for him to be as bad as he’s been — he really did just fall off a cliff this year — and it’s possible he had some injury issues early in the season that he wasn’t telling anyone about.
He’s depth for Tampa Bay, I suppose, who aren’t in need of a closer.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)