Jul 31, 2010, 7:16 AM EST
The Diamondbacks are on the verge of sending reliever Chad Qualls to the Rays in exchange for a player to be named later. Chad Qualls is 1-4 with an 8.51 ERA and has a salary of over $4 million this year. Word is that the Rays are picking up all that’s left of the salary.
Qualls has been horrendous this year, but his numbers have improved somewhat in the last month. As Aaron noted back in June, there is no reason for him to be as bad as he’s been — he really did just fall off a cliff this year — and it’s possible he had some injury issues early in the season that he wasn’t telling anyone about.
He’s depth for Tampa Bay, I suppose, who aren’t in need of a closer.
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 30
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 30
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 94
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)