Jul 31, 2010, 7:16 AM EST
The Diamondbacks are on the verge of sending reliever Chad Qualls to the Rays in exchange for a player to be named later. Chad Qualls is 1-4 with an 8.51 ERA and has a salary of over $4 million this year. Word is that the Rays are picking up all that’s left of the salary.
Qualls has been horrendous this year, but his numbers have improved somewhat in the last month. As Aaron noted back in June, there is no reason for him to be as bad as he’s been — he really did just fall off a cliff this year — and it’s possible he had some injury issues early in the season that he wasn’t telling anyone about.
He’s depth for Tampa Bay, I suppose, who aren’t in need of a closer.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 8
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 18
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (96)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (85)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)