Jul 31, 2010, 4:41 PM EDT
In addition to announcing the Ankiel and Farnsworth trade, the Kansas City Royals just announced that they have given Ned Yost a two-year contract extension.
I like this move, really. Ned Yost is not John McGraw, but he’s what this team needs right now. Both as a manager — he has a track record of being good with up and coming players, and the Royals have many of them in their system (including Tim Collins . . . grrrr!) — and as a stabilizing force. The Royals have cycled through manager after manager the past few years, and it’s about time they stick with one for a while.
I have a hard time seeing any better candidates for the Royals job than Yost at this particular time in history. If they reach the brink of contention in a couple of years, sure, maybe they think about bringing in someone else. But for right now, no news is good news for the Royals. Stay the course, ya know?
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)