Jul 31, 2010, 4:41 PM EDT
In addition to announcing the Ankiel and Farnsworth trade, the Kansas City Royals just announced that they have given Ned Yost a two-year contract extension.
I like this move, really. Ned Yost is not John McGraw, but he’s what this team needs right now. Both as a manager — he has a track record of being good with up and coming players, and the Royals have many of them in their system (including Tim Collins . . . grrrr!) — and as a stabilizing force. The Royals have cycled through manager after manager the past few years, and it’s about time they stick with one for a while.
I have a hard time seeing any better candidates for the Royals job than Yost at this particular time in history. If they reach the brink of contention in a couple of years, sure, maybe they think about bringing in someone else. But for right now, no news is good news for the Royals. Stay the course, ya know?
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)