Jul 31, 2010, 9:32 PM EDT
The Yankees had a very limited presence at former public address announcer Bob Sheppard’s funeral in mid-July and they are getting flak again for failing to make an appearance at George Steinbrenner’s resting place.
The Yanks are down in the Tampa region for a weekend series with the Rays and Steinbrenner was laid to rest about 43 miles from Tropicana Field. Saturday would have been an ideal day for a few of the better known Yankees to cruise on over, but they opted not to. In fact, only 10 people stopped by The Boss’ grave on Saturday afternoon, according to the New York Times’ Tom Spousta.
To us, this all seems a bit overblown. The Yanks have honored Steinbrenner plenty over the last two weeks, they are all wearing memorial patches on their uniforms, and it’s not like he was a family member.
It may sound corny, but the best way for the Yankees to honor Steinbrenner is to win. And win. And win. Taking a two-hour trip to his grave site in Florida might have been a nice gesture, but in no way is Derek Jeter or Jorge Posada or Mariano Rivera in the wrong for not doing so. At least, that’s our take.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 9
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 1
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 11
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 141
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (141)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)