Jul 31, 2010, 9:32 PM EDT
The Yankees had a very limited presence at former public address announcer Bob Sheppard’s funeral in mid-July and they are getting flak again for failing to make an appearance at George Steinbrenner’s resting place.
The Yanks are down in the Tampa region for a weekend series with the Rays and Steinbrenner was laid to rest about 43 miles from Tropicana Field. Saturday would have been an ideal day for a few of the better known Yankees to cruise on over, but they opted not to. In fact, only 10 people stopped by The Boss’ grave on Saturday afternoon, according to the New York Times’ Tom Spousta.
To us, this all seems a bit overblown. The Yanks have honored Steinbrenner plenty over the last two weeks, they are all wearing memorial patches on their uniforms, and it’s not like he was a family member.
It may sound corny, but the best way for the Yankees to honor Steinbrenner is to win. And win. And win. Taking a two-hour trip to his grave site in Florida might have been a nice gesture, but in no way is Derek Jeter or Jorge Posada or Mariano Rivera in the wrong for not doing so. At least, that’s our take.
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 4
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 36
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL