Jul 31, 2010, 9:32 PM EDT
The Yankees had a very limited presence at former public address announcer Bob Sheppard’s funeral in mid-July and they are getting flak again for failing to make an appearance at George Steinbrenner’s resting place.
The Yanks are down in the Tampa region for a weekend series with the Rays and Steinbrenner was laid to rest about 43 miles from Tropicana Field. Saturday would have been an ideal day for a few of the better known Yankees to cruise on over, but they opted not to. In fact, only 10 people stopped by The Boss’ grave on Saturday afternoon, according to the New York Times’ Tom Spousta.
To us, this all seems a bit overblown. The Yanks have honored Steinbrenner plenty over the last two weeks, they are all wearing memorial patches on their uniforms, and it’s not like he was a family member.
It may sound corny, but the best way for the Yankees to honor Steinbrenner is to win. And win. And win. Taking a two-hour trip to his grave site in Florida might have been a nice gesture, but in no way is Derek Jeter or Jorge Posada or Mariano Rivera in the wrong for not doing so. At least, that’s our take.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)