Jul 31, 2010, 9:32 PM EDT
The Yankees had a very limited presence at former public address announcer Bob Sheppard’s funeral in mid-July and they are getting flak again for failing to make an appearance at George Steinbrenner’s resting place.
The Yanks are down in the Tampa region for a weekend series with the Rays and Steinbrenner was laid to rest about 43 miles from Tropicana Field. Saturday would have been an ideal day for a few of the better known Yankees to cruise on over, but they opted not to. In fact, only 10 people stopped by The Boss’ grave on Saturday afternoon, according to the New York Times’ Tom Spousta.
To us, this all seems a bit overblown. The Yanks have honored Steinbrenner plenty over the last two weeks, they are all wearing memorial patches on their uniforms, and it’s not like he was a family member.
It may sound corny, but the best way for the Yankees to honor Steinbrenner is to win. And win. And win. Taking a two-hour trip to his grave site in Florida might have been a nice gesture, but in no way is Derek Jeter or Jorge Posada or Mariano Rivera in the wrong for not doing so. At least, that’s our take.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (250)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)